Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

What is the origin of your username?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I thought it might be fun to find out how we all decided on our usernames.

I used to participate heavily on performance car forums, and since I began with a Camaro SS, I used the name gauSSian, to both indicate my affinity for mathematics and to use the letters SS in the center.

However, when I joined my first math help forum, I thought it would take a lot of nerve to use the derivative of the name of such a brilliant mathematician as my username, so I decided on MarkFL, as my name is Mark, I am from Florida (abbreviated here in the U.S. as FL) and my middle and last initials are F and L respectively.

How did you decide on your username?

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I used to participate heavily on performance car forums, and since I began with a Camaro SS, I used the name gauSSian, to both indicate my affinity for mathematics and to use the letters SS in the center.

However, when I joined my first math help forum, I thought it would take a lot of nerve to use the derivative of the name of such a brilliant mathematician as my username, so I decided on MarkFL, as my name is Mark, I am from Florida (abbreviated here in the U.S. as FL) and my middle and last initials are F and L respectively.

How did you decide on your username?
Mine was an old screen name that I used when AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) was pretty popular. It's derived from my name (Christopher L. Toni [I'm okay with people knowing my name, since, after all, you can find that info in one [or more] of the links in my signature]) and my birthday (May 21st - 5/21). Hence, I'm Chris L T521.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
My first name, obviously.

However when not using my first name I like using mathematicians' names or Russian names. On some other sites I've gone by Euler, Riemann and Putin, usually with some numbers after them since those names are often taken. :)

Last edited:

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Care to read a few Physics texts?

I was at Purdue U. and needed a new username. Being on a particle physics track I went into quark names. I originally wanted "upquark" but that, and the other five quark names were already in use. (Headbang) So I had the mad idea of using a supersymmetric partner to the quark: an s-quark. (Nerd) (Look up the supersymmetry thing yourself or I can post my own thread on it if you like. It'll take a while.)

Anyway, the first one I tried, top s-quark, wasn't in use. So there we are. It would seem that no one else has had this idea. I've been able to get the topsquark tag on any site I've signed up for. (Clapping)

-Dan

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Mine is rather simple. First initial, middle initial, and one of the most common last name (my last name).

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
mine is a contraction of Deva (the sanskrit word for "heavenly being") + Eno (for Brian Eno), being both a sly reference to the ubiquitous "Eno is God" graffitti of the mid-1980's in New York City, and a play on my given first name, David.

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

My parents came from Japan; I was born in the USA.

The Japanese word for abacus is soroban.

I thought it was funny to call myself a 'Japanese calculator'.

Am I the only one laughing?

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Mine is the name of a logical deduction rule, namely {P,P=>Q}|- Q

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Mine is simply my first name. I like it because it's very uncommon even in my country. :)

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Mine is based on an old school joke, my first name and the Gerry Anderson TV show Captain Scarlet. Mr Ron \(\to\) Mysteron \(\to\) Captain Black the reanimated agent of the Mysterons.

CB

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Mine just tells you that my research field (back in the days when I was actually doing research) was OPerator ALGebras.

earboth

Jan 30, 2012
When I was looking for a username I took my first and my family-name, distorted them severely - and what was left is now my username.

... instead of Lehrer Lämpel.

Attachments

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I've had this username for years and use it everywhere I want to be known. You can probably find me on a lot of different forums via this username. I don't know where it came from, I just thought it up and thought it sounded cool :)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
The greak letter $\chi$ is the initial of my first name [Carlo] and the greak letter $\sigma$ is the initial of my last name [Sabatini]...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Mine isn't difficult to figure, it's Super Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 onwards plus my favourite number which is 4.

edit: a user named MI6 was reading this thread before I posted, thought they'd be invisible on Her Majesty's duty ;)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Many people will think of the sea anemone when they see my username here, but as a matter of fact, I wasn't referring to it, but a type of flowering plant.

Anemones_zpsb8a05de2.jpgWeddinganemonesbouquet_zps565d65f8.jpg

The main reason it had become the perfect choice for my username was because it could last about nine days after being cut to make bouquets, and in Chinese tradition, we tend to believe that number 9 is an auspicious number and it is a homophone for longevity, which symbolizes that love will never fade in our romantic relationships.

Yes, I'm a female of Chinese descent from Asia.

MI6

Dec 29, 2012

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
First letter of my name, K, then my last name Anderson

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
About usernames. Many of you know that at heart I am basically interested in philosophy. I do have advanced degrees in both mathematics and religious studies. But I hold odd views in both. I truly think that mathematics is the product of the brain. That is a total non-Platonic view. There is a well known article on why Mathematics is so Successful?. Well the point that I have argued with the author is that the answer is simple: it is successful because it's our reality we are measuring. So what more ironic name to use than Plato?

Last edited:

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
About usernames. Many of you know that at heart I am basically interested in philosophy. I do have advanced degrees in both mathematics and religious studies. But I hold odd views in both. I truly think that mathematics is the product of the brain. That is a total non-Platonic view. There is a well known article on why Mathematics is so Successful?. Well the point that I have argued with the author is that the answer is simple: it is successful because it's our reality we are measuring. So what more ironic name to use than Plato?
i have no idea what you mean by "our reality", but if by this you mean our brain's interpretation of reality, that makes perfect sense (to my brain, that is). i cannot argue with your conclusion that mathematics is ultimately a by-product of how our brains function (the natural numbers, for example, seem to be "hard-coded" into our neurological function, in that we have electro-physical sensory systems that function as "difference filters". once you have 1 and 0, it's pretty much downhill from there. i conjecture that some animals with similar nervous systems ought to be able to count, with perhaps a lower limit on the size of memory space allotted for "number storage"). in a sense, this seems to me to "beg the question", in that our brains are surely the by-product of some external forces (do these obey mathematical laws, or do we only imagine them to?).

i would be interested in hearing your "odd" views of religion. one often hears views that rational thought (and thus mathematical/logical reasoning in particular) is diametrically opposed to spiritual views, a sort of "either/or" choice of a soulless or "soulful" universe. and yet, one also often hears an "opposite" argument, that the inherent beauty and intricate and delicate interplay of mathematics is surely reason to suspect there is PURPOSE to things. my own religious views are "unorthodox" to say the least, and i often find myself at odds with rational humanists and fundamentalists alike.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
My first name is Fernando, and my last name, Revilla (just as a cousin of mine). So, I decided as username the first name and the last name of my cousin.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
alane1994

First Name: Austin
Last Name: Lane
Birth Year: 1994
Pretty simple... no?

jakncoke

Jan 11, 2013
I came up with the name when i was under the influence of ... guess.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Last edited: