What is the origin of the phrase 'cannot be overstated'?

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
Hornbein
Such-and-such "cannot be overstated." I see this figure of speech often. It wasn't around in the 20th century. Where did it come from?

I suggest it appeared in 2012 with first "The Hunger Games" film where a TV emcee says this.

I also often see it gotten wrong, as in "the importance of this cannot be understated."

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
It wasn't around in the 20th century.
Google books has examples going back to the 19th century.

Likes BillTre, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
If you can get your hands on the OED - the full multivolume one - it will have a first use.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Astronuc
As to "the importance of this cannot be understated." goes, this could well be due to someone using "cannot" in place of "should not" . For example, people often say something like, "We cannot let this happen." rather than, "We should not let this happen", since "cannot" appears to carry more weight.

Likes Vanadium 50, dextercioby, BillTre and 1 other person
Could be interesting to check how similar phrases work in other languages, especially those used by minorities in English speaking countries.

Polish is far from being able to influence English, but we have a similar phrase ("nie da się przecenić" - smth like "can't be priced too high"), and I know from experience bilingual people tend to mangle such things (especially when there is some kind of gradation involved and when the intended meaning is different from the verbatim meaning).

Likes pinball1970 and dextercioby
Borek said:
Could be interesting to check how similar phrases work in other languages, especially those used by minorities in English speaking countries.

Polish is far from being able to influence English, but we have a similar phrase ("nie da się przecenić" - smth like "can't be priced too high"), and I know from experience bilingual people tend to mangle such things (especially when there is some kind of gradation involved and when the intended meaning is different from the verbatim meaning).
Yeah the students we supervised as ESL were really interested in slang and phrases that had their mother tongue equivalent.
"Stag do," was one.

Borek said:
"nie da się przecenić" - smth like "can't be priced too high"
"Нельзя переоценить" ~ "nel'zia pereotcenit'" - "cannot be overvalued", in Russian.

• Informative
Likes Borek and pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
If you can get your hands on the OED - the full multivolume one - it will have a first use.

I thought "Oh cool, I've got that, I'll go look it up!" Well it turns out we have the "compact" OED. It's two volumes that are each about 15lbs. It hurts to lift one of them and you kind of need a magnifying glass to read the text on the tissue-thin pages. That's the compact version.

I looked at oed.com and they listed the oldest known use of the phrase in 1792: (link)

They used to - and maybe still do - sell the compact one with a magnifying glass.

I learned about this when I reached out to them correcting a first use. I was kind of hoping they would give me an OED as a token of thanks, nut no such luck.

Vanadium 50 said:
They used to - and maybe still do - sell the compact one with a magnifying glass.

I learned about this when I reached out to them correcting a first use. I was kind of hoping they would give me an OED as a token of thanks, nut no such luck.

Yeah, it's got a little drawer on top of the case with a big magnifying glass in it. I don't how old the set is but it was probably from the 1980s. I kind of overestimated the weight though. The second volume weighed in at 8.4lbs.

Too bad they didn't gift you a set. I imagine you can get all of this information online now although maybe not for free. I kind of miss the old stuff, awkward as it was. As a tiny tot I learned how to add and subtract by using the volume numbers printed on the spines of our Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedia as a guide.

There used to be encyclopedia salesmen, imagine that!

JT Smith said:
There used to be encyclopedia salesmen, imagine that!
I remember encyclopedias. I was giving a colloquium somewhere or other, and I found a racy, spicy, book in my hotel room entitled "Girl to Grab". Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was Volume 7 of the encyclopedia. <rimshot>

• Haha
Likes berkeman and BillTre

What does the phrase "cannot be overstated" mean?

The phrase "cannot be overstated" is used to express that something is so significant or important that no amount of emphasis or explanation could be too much. It suggests that the subject's importance is so great that it cannot be exaggerated.

Where did the phrase "cannot be overstated" originate?

The exact origin of the phrase "cannot be overstated" is not clearly documented. However, it likely evolved from common English usage where expressions are used to emphasize the importance of something. The phrase has been in use in written English for several centuries, indicating its deep roots in the language.

How is the phrase "cannot be overstated" commonly used?

This phrase is commonly used in both written and spoken English to emphasize the extreme importance or significance of a subject. It is often used in formal contexts, such as academic writing, speeches, or professional discussions, to underline the crucial nature of a point being discussed.

Is there a common misuse of the phrase "cannot be overstated"?

Yes, a common misuse of the phrase occurs when people use it to mean the opposite, such as "cannot be understated." This misuse likely stems from confusion between the terms "overstate" and "understate," where the speaker actually means to say that the importance of the subject cannot be downplayed or minimized.

Can you provide an example of how to correctly use "cannot be overstated" in a sentence?

Certainly! Here is an example: "The importance of regular exercise for maintaining one's health cannot be overstated." In this sentence, the phrase is used to emphasize that no matter how much one talks about the benefits of regular exercise, it would never be considered an exaggeration.