What Is the Orbital Angular Momentum of an Electron in the 3p State?

In summary, the question asks for the orbital angular momentum of an electron that has been excited from the ground state to the 3p state. This can be calculated using the formula L=[sqrt(l(l+1))] X h[bar], where l is the angular momentum quantum number. Since the p state has l=1, there are three possible values for the orbital angular momentum: 0, root2 h[bar], and root6 h[bar]. The significance of s, p, d, and f states can be found in a textbook on quantum mechanics. The electron configuration of the 3p state is n=3, l=1, m=0. If the electron relaxes to the n=1 or
rob malkin
Hello everyone,

hope you are all well.

I would like to ask a simple spectroscopy question please.

"An electron has been excited from the ground state to the 3p state. Find the orbital angular momentum of the electron"

This is my interpritation of the question,

3p means n=3
thus, l[angular momentum quantum number] = 0,1,2

thus, to calculate the orbital angular momentum... we have 3 calculations

using
L=[sqrt(l(l+1))] X h[bar]

so one will be 0

the other root2 h[bar], and

the last root6 h[bar]?

Hope I am right.

QM is easier to work than spectroscopy.

Thanks for reading

very much appreciated.

Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that the atom is in a p state (3p) tells you something about the orbital angular momentum. Check your textbook for the significance of s, p, d, f...

jtbell said:
The fact that the atom is in a p state (3p) tells you something about the orbital angular momentum. Check your textbook for the significance of s, p, d, f...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/orbdep.html#c1

does l=1?

s p d f ...
0 1 2 3...[l]?EDIT: so 3p means n=3 l=1? what about the orbital magnetic number m?, and spin, and total quantum number j?
ie, is 3p not a total description of the electron, would you need to say...3,p,0,1/2,1/2?

Last edited:
I have been looking at this for a while, and think I might have a handle of it but would like some opinions...

So, if the electron in the 3p state 'relaxes' and drops to say, the n=1,2 level, am I right in thinking that the electron configuration of the electron is...

1)
If it relaxes to the 1s state, n=1, l=0, m=0

2)
If it relaxes to the 2p state, n=2, l=0, m=0
3)
If it relaxes to the 2p state,
n=2, l=1, m=-1
n=2, l=1, m=0
n=2, l=1, m=+1secondly, because I am dealing with hydrogen am I right in saying that the energy of the electron only depends upon n?I hope this is right, i am getting rather confused by it all.

Thank you for reading.

R

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Orbital Angular Momentum of an Electron in the 3p State?

1. What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves the measurement and analysis of the physical properties of materials based on the way they absorb, emit, or scatter electromagnetic radiation.

2. What are the basic principles of spectroscopy?

The basic principles of spectroscopy include the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation, the absorption or emission of specific wavelengths of radiation, and the interpretation of this data to identify and characterize materials.

3. What are the different types of spectroscopy?

There are several types of spectroscopy, including optical spectroscopy (such as UV-Vis and infrared), atomic spectroscopy (such as atomic absorption and emission), and molecular spectroscopy (such as Raman and NMR).

4. How is spectroscopy used in scientific research?

Spectroscopy is used in various scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and astronomy. It is commonly used to identify and analyze the composition of materials, study the structure and dynamics of molecules, and understand the properties of light and its interactions with matter.

5. What are some common applications of spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy has many practical applications, such as in forensic science, environmental analysis, and drug development. It is also used in industrial processes, such as quality control and monitoring of chemical reactions. In addition, spectroscopy plays a crucial role in space exploration and the study of the universe.