What is the optimal way to divide a picture into jigsaw puzzle pieces?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the speaker is working on a project to create a jigsaw puzzle using a picture cut into squares. They want the pieces to have a pleasing shape and be within a small range in terms of number and proportions. The picture itself is 3:2, but the pieces are vertical. The speaker is considering using a piece count of 96, but is unsure how to determine the dimensions of each piece. They discuss using prime factors and ultimately settle on a 7x13 piece count, resulting in a 5:4 proportion. They also mention potentially using foam core for the puzzle and making it 8 feet wide.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got this project that I'm having trouble pinning down.

I'm cutting a pic up into squares to make a sort of jigsaw puzzle. I want the pieces to be a pleasing shape and the number of pieces to be within a small range.
- proportions of pic: 3:2 (so, say 6000 wide by 4000 high) this is slightly variable by a small amount, say < 5%, if that makes the numbers work
- total number of pieces: between 80 and 96
- proportions of pieces: between 1:1 and 2:3 (so, say 600 wide and 800 tall)
Not that the pic is horizontal but the pieces are vertical.

If I used the example dimensions, I get 6000/600 by 4000/800 = 50 pieces, which is too few.

Not sure how to do this except by brute force.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could select a piece count of 96 because its divisible by 6 ie 2x3 and then find its prime factors.

From there solve 2x* 3y=96 where x is rows and y is columns or vice versa.

jedishrfu said:
You could select a piece count of 96 because its divisible by 6 ie 2x3 and then find its prime factors.

From there solve 2x* 3y=96 where x is rows and y is columns or vice versa.
Not sure I follow.
If y=8 then x would have to be 12.
So, each piece would be 24x36?

I guess, now that I've clearly defined my required parameters,
- number = 80 to 96,
- proportions between 1:1 and 1.5:1 (vertical),
there's only a very few valid combinations.
6x14..84..667x429..1.55:1
7x12
..84..571x500..1.14:1
7x13..91..571x462..1.24:1
8x12
..96..500x500...1:1

Last edited:
The idea was to take your 4000 x 6000 image and to say its ratio is 2 by 3 and you want to tile it with say 96 tiles

so it has a tile area of 96 with one side being 2x units and the other side being 3y units hence the 2x * 3y = 96

which then leads to x * y = 16 and from there the squarest choice is x = y = 4

this then give 2x = 8 tile units by 3y = 12 tile units

which means you slice your image up into 8 rows by 12 columns and you'll have 96 pieces to play with.

Likes DaveC426913
Thanks. Although I think that's approaching it from the other end, now that I try it.

The number of pieces is flexible, between 80 and 96.
If I wanted a pleasing shape for the pieces, the 7x13 gives me a 1.4:1 . That's 91 pieces.
I'd have to do 13x*7y=91, which simply gives me the unit 1.

Hm. I've done something wrong there. I've misused the formula.

Though I'm pleased with the answer. 91 pieces in a 5:4 proportion.

Doesn't the number of pieces have to have at least two factors? I could see 90 but not 91.

jedishrfu said:
Doesn't the number of pieces have to have at least two factors?
Yes. 7 and 13.

WeddingPartygrid.jpg

So, I throw away the border, with no useful information for assembly.
Still, a lotta squares with just black in em... :smile:
And ther "nothin-but-curtain" squares above the rather diminutive bride.

It seems Curry's Art Store sells sheets of 3/16" foam core in 48"x96" sheets for $16 (frankly sounds too good to be true).

I could make this thing 8'x5'4" with each piece being 7.4"x9.1" (so that's ... 63dpi).

The next tricky part is going to be sizing and printing each image piece out so that it registers with the next one.

Last edited:
Oh 8 feet wide, I see what you mean!

MrAnchovy said:
Oh 8 feet wide, I see what you mean!
There's a Spinal Tap joke in here somewhere. :biggrin:

spinal_tap_stonehenge.jpg

Related to What is the optimal way to divide a picture into jigsaw puzzle pieces?

1) What is "dividing up a pic" in geometry?

"Dividing up a pic" in geometry refers to the process of partitioning a picture or image into smaller shapes or sections. This is often done to study the properties and relationships between different parts of the picture.

2) Why is dividing up a pic important in geometry?

Dividing up a pic is important in geometry because it allows us to analyze and understand the geometric elements and structures present in the picture. It also helps us to visualize and solve complex geometric problems.

3) What are some techniques for dividing up a pic in geometry?

Some techniques for dividing up a pic in geometry include using straight lines to create shapes such as triangles, rectangles, and circles, as well as using curves and angles to create more complex shapes. Another technique is to use symmetry to divide the picture into equal parts.

4) How does dividing up a pic relate to other concepts in geometry?

Dividing up a pic is closely related to other concepts in geometry such as partitioning, symmetry, and congruence. It also involves the use of geometric principles like angles, shapes, and transformations.

5) Can dividing up a pic be used in real-world applications?

Yes, dividing up a pic can be used in real-world applications such as map making, architecture, and art. It can also be used in industries like engineering and design to create accurate and precise representations of objects and structures.