What is the Optimal Rectangle in a Semicircle with Radius R?

In summary, the problem involves finding the length and width of the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in a semicircle of radius R, with one side of the rectangle lying on the diameter of the semicircle. The area of this rectangle is R^2 and a neat diagram is needed to visualize the problem.
drasord
I'm really stuck on this problem. Could anyone provide some help?

Find the length and width of the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in a semicircle of radius R, assuming that one side of the rectangle lies on the diameter of the semicircle. Also, find the area of this rectangle. Draw a neat diagram.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have tried so far so we know where you are stuck and can best offer help?

Absolutely - sorry for the delay! This is my understanding of how to "optimize" the problem:

View attachment 1725

So I've found the area, I believe. But I need to find the "rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in a semicircle of radius R". I'm confused about how to do this. And what does the professor mean by "a neat diagram"?

Attachments

• optimization.png
    optimization.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 49
You have found the correct critical value:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}\)

The base of the rectangle is $2x$. The height is $y$.

So, what is \(\displaystyle y\left(\frac{R}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\) ?

View attachment 1727

So now I have A, length, and width. Correct?

A = \(\displaystyle 2x * sqrt(R^2 - x^2)\)

Attachments

• alw.png
    alw.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Or now I have to find area:

A = l * w
A = 2R/sqrt(2) * sqrt(R^2/2)
A = sqrt(2) * sqrt(x) * sqrt(x^2)

?

The base of the rectangle is:

\(\displaystyle 2x=2\cdot\frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}=\sqrt{2}R\)

The height is:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{R^2-\frac{R^2}{2}}=\frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}\)

Thus area = base times height:

\(\displaystyle A=\sqrt{2}R\cdot\frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}=R^2\)

Related to What is the Optimal Rectangle in a Semicircle with Radius R?

What is a calculus optimization problem?

A calculus optimization problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, subject to a set of constraints. It is typically solved using calculus methods such as derivatives and integrals.

What are some common real-world applications of calculus optimization?

Calculus optimization problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and biology to find the most efficient or optimal solution. For example, they can be used to maximize profits in business, minimize costs in manufacturing processes, or optimize the trajectory of a rocket.

How do you solve a calculus optimization problem?

To solve a calculus optimization problem, you first need to set up the problem by identifying the objective function and the constraints. Then, you can use calculus techniques such as taking derivatives and finding critical points to determine the maximum or minimum value of the function. Finally, you can check the endpoints and any other critical points to determine the optimal solution.

What is the difference between a local and global maximum/minimum?

A local maximum or minimum is a point where the function reaches its highest or lowest value within a specific interval. A global maximum or minimum is the absolute highest or lowest value of the function over its entire domain. In calculus optimization problems, it is important to check for both local and global extrema to find the optimal solution.

What are some common challenges when solving calculus optimization problems?

Some common challenges when solving calculus optimization problems include accurately setting up the problem, finding the correct critical points, and determining whether a critical point is a maximum, minimum, or neither. It can also be challenging to handle constraints and deal with functions that are not differentiable at certain points.