What is the optimal ratio of peanuts to cashews for maximum revenue?

It should be 7.5 lbs of cashews.In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a store sells cashews and peanuts separately, but then decides to mix them together and sell the mixture for a different price. The goal is to determine how many pounds of cashews should be mixed with the peanuts in order to earn the same revenue as selling the nuts separately. The solution involves setting up equations and solving for the number of pounds, which is found to be 7.5 pounds of cashews.
Lurid

Homework Statement

A store sells cashews for $5.00 per pound and peanuts for $1.50 per pound. The manager decides to mix 30 pounds of peanuts with some cashews and sell the mixture for $3.00 per pound. How many pounds of cashews should be mixed with the peanuts so that the mixture will produce the same revenue as would selling the nuts separately?

Homework Equations

x1 + y1 = k1
x2 + y2 = k2

The Attempt at a Solution

x= cashews
y= peanuts

5x + 1.5y = 3(x+y)

5(30) +1.5y = 3(30+y)

150 +1.5y = 90 + 3y

60 = 1.5y

40 = y

Correct answer: 22.5 pounds of peanuts

------
I know this isn't probably pre-calculus, but my teacher is reviewing matrices, and this is the first section of the chapter. I usually don't have problems doing these types of problems, especially problems relating to the mixing of nuts/candies, etc. But, for some odd reason, I'm not getting the correct answer, and I think my set-up is probably wrong. I don't see another logical way to approach this question.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set up and answer seem right to me. Who says the answer is 22.5 lbs?

The back of the book, apparently.

How can the "correct answer" possibly be "22.5 lbs of peanuts" when the question is "how many pounds of cashews"?

Yikes! Hallsofivy is right!

Related to What is the optimal ratio of peanuts to cashews for maximum revenue?

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations consists of two or more linear equations with multiple variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

How can I solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving systems of linear equations, such as graphing, substitution, elimination, and matrices. The most efficient method depends on the specific system and personal preference.

What is the difference between a consistent and inconsistent system of linear equations?

A consistent system has at least one solution, meaning the equations intersect at a point and can be solved. An inconsistent system has no solutions, meaning the equations do not intersect and cannot be solved.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinitely many, or no solutions. This depends on the relationships between the equations and the variables.

How is a system of linear equations used in real life?

Systems of linear equations are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and business. They can help model and solve real-world problems involving multiple variables and relationships.