What is the Optimal Number of Birdhouses to Produce?

• MHB
  • Thread starter abbarajum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Word problem
In summary, Tom expects to sell at least 30 birdhouses a week at $60 each, but if he produces more than 30, he will lose $2 per additional house. The ideal number of houses to produce would be the point at which the revenue function, C(x) = (30 + x)(60 - 2x), is optimized.
abbarajum
Hi everyone - this is my second post on here today!

Anyway, I have a word problem, and would just like to make sure I am setting it up correctly.

Tom expects to sell at least 30 birdhouses a week, at \$60 each. If he produces more than 30, he will lose \$2 per additional house. What is the ideal number of houses to produce?

I have an idea of how to set it up, but just want to make sure it is correct.

I have the equation as: C(x) = (30 + x)(60 - 2x)

Would this be correct to use in this case? The number of total houses to produce would be 30 + x, and the price per house would be 60 - 2x. Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, your revenue function $C(x)$ looks good to me. You have expressed the total revenue as the product of the number of units produced and the revenue per unit. (Yes)

Can you proceed to optimize the revenue function?

Note: If you wish to use dollar signs in your posts as dollar signs rather than $\LaTeX$ tags, precede them with a backslash:

\$

Related to What is the Optimal Number of Birdhouses to Produce?

1. How do I set up a word problem?

To set up a word problem, you need to first identify the key information and variables in the problem. Then, write an equation or system of equations using these variables to represent the problem. Finally, solve the equation(s) to find the answer to the problem.

2. What is the importance of setting up a word problem correctly?

Setting up a word problem correctly is important because it ensures that you are accurately representing the given information and variables. This will lead to a correct solution and also helps to identify any errors or mistakes in calculations.

3. How can I make sure I am including all the necessary information in my word problem?

Before setting up the word problem, carefully read the given information and identify all the key variables and quantities. Make sure to include all of these in your equations and also consider if any additional information is needed for the problem to be solved.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy for setting up word problems?

There is no one specific method for setting up word problems, as it can vary depending on the type of problem and the subject. However, some common strategies include creating diagrams or tables to represent the problem, breaking down the information into smaller parts, and using variables to represent unknown quantities.

5. How can I check if my word problem is set up correctly?

To check if your word problem is set up correctly, you can solve the equations using the given information and check if the solution matches the answer to the problem. You can also have someone else review your work to catch any errors or mistakes.