What Is the Opposing Resistance for a 14ohm and 10ohm Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of opposing resistance and its relation to conductance. The question of what constitutes opposing resistance is raised, with examples given such as a dictator in a dictatorship or a cyclist in the wind. Later, the conversation shifts to a specific homework problem involving two resistances of 14ohm and 10ohm and the inquiry about the opposing resistance. Clarification is sought regarding the connection of the resistances and if the term "opposing resistance" may actually refer to equivalent resistance.
Froskersss
Homework Statement
Is there anything called opposing resistance.
Relevant Equations
Well this is not a homework.
I don't know about it. Please help.
It wasn't letting me to post until I typed something here. So I am typing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Inverse of resistance is conductance whose unit is siemens, use to be moh, ##\Omega^{-1}##.

Froskersss said:
Homework Statement:: Is there anything called opposing resistance.
Relevant Equations:: Well this is not a homework.

I don't know about it. Please help.
It wasn't letting me to post until I typed something here. So I am typing this.
You need to give more context.
Do you mean, something that is opposing a resistance, or an "opposing resistance ", i.e. a resistance that opposes something? Or are you asking what is the opposite of resistance?

If the first, who or what is opposing what sort of resistance? A dictator in a dictatorship? A battery in a circuit? A cyclist in the wind?

Likes Delta2
Well my teacher asked the question that there are two resistance of 14ohm and 10ohm so what is the opposing resistance.

Froskersss said:
Well my teacher asked the question that there are two resistance of 14ohm and 10ohm so what is the opposing resistance.
How are they connected? Is there a diagram?

Froskersss said:

By any chance, do you know if they meant equivalent resistance?

Related to What Is the Opposing Resistance for a 14ohm and 10ohm Circuit?

1. What is opposing resistance?

Opposing resistance, also known as opposition or impedance, refers to the force or hindrance that opposes the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is measured in ohms and is caused by factors such as the material and length of the conductor, temperature, and frequency of the current.

2. How is opposing resistance different from regular resistance?

Opposing resistance is essentially the same as regular resistance, but it specifically refers to the total resistance in a circuit, which includes both the resistance of the conductor and any other components such as resistors or capacitors. Regular resistance only refers to the resistance of the conductor itself.

3. What are some examples of opposing resistance in everyday life?

Opposing resistance can be seen in many everyday devices and situations. For example, the resistance in a light bulb filament causes it to heat up and produce light. In a car, the resistance of the spark plugs helps ignite the fuel in the engine. Even the resistance of our own bodies can be measured when we touch a live wire and feel a shock.

4. How does opposing resistance affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

The higher the opposing resistance, the more it hinders the flow of electricity in a circuit. This can result in a decrease in current and voltage, and can also cause the circuit to heat up. In some cases, too much opposing resistance can even cause the circuit to fail.

5. How can we reduce opposing resistance in a circuit?

There are a few ways to reduce opposing resistance in a circuit. One way is to use materials with lower resistance, such as copper or silver, for the conductors. Another way is to shorten the length of the conductor. Additionally, using larger diameter wires can also help reduce resistance. Lastly, avoiding sharp bends and kinks in the circuit can help reduce resistance as well.