What is the Number of Fringes in a YDSE with Given Parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of fringes separated by 1 cm on a screen at a distance of 2mm from slits that are 0.2mm apart. The wavelength of light used is 500nm and the attempt at a solution involves calculating the fringe width and then dividing 1cm by it to determine the number of fringes. It is also mentioned that there are alternate bright and dark fringes of width Dλ/d.
Abhimessi10

Homework Statement

Find number of fringes separated by 1 cm on a screen at a distance of 2mm from slits which are 0.2mm apart from each other.The wavelength of light used is 500nm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know any way to solve it.I have tried putting unit values of slit distance wavelength and screen distance but I am not sure if that can be applied here

Physics news on Phys.org
Abhimessi10 said:

Homework Statement

Find number of fringes separated by 1 cm on a screen at a distance of 2mm from slits which are 0.2mm apart from each other.The wavelength of light used is 500nm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know any way to solve it.I have tried putting unit values of slit distance wavelength and screen distance but I am not sure if that can be applied here
First calculate fringe width for given arrangement

Abhishek kumar said:
First calculate fringe width for given arrangement

Ok then?

Abhimessi10 said:
Ok then?
Then by dividing 1cm by fringe width you will get the number

Abhishek kumar said:
Then by dividing 1cm by fringe width you will get the number

Between one cm there could be dark and bright fringes.So dividing 1 cm by fringe width will give only bright or dark fringes only,right?

There is alternate bright and dark fringe of width Dλ/d.you will get both finge.

Abhishek kumar said:
There is alternate bright and dark fringe of width Dλ/d.you will get both finge.

Yeah thanks man

Abhimessi10 said:
Yeah thanks man
You're Welcome

Related to What is the Number of Fringes in a YDSE with Given Parameters?

1. How is the number of fringes in a YDSE experiment determined?

The number of fringes in a Young's Double Slit Experiment (YDSE) is determined by the formula n = d*sin(theta)/lambda, where n is the number of fringes, d is the distance between the two slits, theta is the angle of incidence, and lambda is the wavelength of light.

2. Why does the number of fringes in a YDSE increase as the distance between the slits increases?

The number of fringes in a YDSE increases as the distance between the slits increases because the distance between the fringes is directly proportional to the distance between the slits. As the distance between the slits increases, the overall distance between the fringes increases, resulting in a higher number of fringes.

3. How does the number of fringes change if a different color of light is used in a YDSE?

The number of fringes in a YDSE does not change when a different color of light is used. This is because the number of fringes is determined by the wavelength of light, which remains constant for a given material. However, the spacing between the fringes may change as different colors of light have different wavelengths.

4. Can the number of fringes in a YDSE be altered by changing the distance between the light source and the slits?

Yes, the number of fringes in a YDSE can be altered by changing the distance between the light source and the slits. This is because the angle of incidence, theta, is affected by the distance between the light source and the slits. As theta changes, the number of fringes changes accordingly.

5. How do the number of fringes in a YDSE differ when using monochromatic vs. white light?

The number of fringes in a YDSE will differ when using monochromatic vs. white light. Monochromatic light, which consists of a single wavelength, will produce a clear and distinct pattern of fringes. White light, on the other hand, is made up of multiple wavelengths and will produce overlapping patterns of fringes, making it more difficult to count the exact number of fringes.