What Is the Nth Term of the Sequence 2, -5, 10, -17?

Yes, you are right. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the apparent nth term of a sequence, with the original attempt at a solution being (n)+(2n-1)*(-1)^(n-1). After further discussion and corrections, the correct answer is determined to be 1+n^2, with the sequence starting at 2 and increasing by sequential odd numbers while alternating positive and negative.
dtl42
This was the extra credit question on a quiz I had today, I am very anxious to find out the answer.

1. Homework Statement

Find the apparent Nth term of the sequence
2,-5,10,-17 ... n

2. Homework Equations

Not sure really on this
an = ...

3. The Attempt at a Solution

(n)+(2n-1)*(-1)^(n-1)

The sequence starts with 2 and then increases by sequential odd numbers and alternates positive and negative.

Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, your answer is correct. Nice Job!

Actually I was thinking about it and my answer is only correct for the first two terms, after that it's in accurate, the real answer is

1+n^2 , I'm hoping that my teacher is swamped with grading and will only check the first two terms.

dtl42 said:
Actually I was thinking about it and my answer is only correct for the first two terms, after that it's in accurate, the real answer is

1+n^2 , I'm hoping that my teacher is swamped with grading and will only check the first two terms.

you forgot the (-1)^(n-1) part.
And your original answer does not wort even for the first two terms, just for the first one.

when u take n=2 you will get

2+(4-1)(-1)^1=2-3=-1

Last edited:
It looks to me like the nth term is the sum of the first n primes times (-1 raised to the power of n+1)

sutupidmath said:
you forgot the (-1)^(n-1) part.
And your original answer does not wort even for the first two terms, just for the first one.

when u take n=2 you will get

2+(4-1)(-1)^1=2-3=-1

Im positive my answer works for the first two

(2+(4-1)) * (-1)^(2-1) = -5

dtl42 said:
Im positive my answer works for the first two

(2+(4-1)) * (-1)^(2-1) = -5

But that's not what you wrote! In your first post you wrote
(n)+(2n-1)*(-1)^(n-1) where the (-1)^(n-1) is multiplied only by the second term, not the first.

In any case, "correct for 2 terms" is still not good enough. For the three terms given, I see"subtract 7, then add 5, then subtract seven, then add five, ..."

Related to What Is the Nth Term of the Sequence 2, -5, 10, -17?

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite, meaning it has a specific number of terms, or infinite, meaning it continues forever.

What is a series?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. It can be finite or infinite, depending on the number of terms in the sequence.

How do you find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you need to identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Then, use that pattern to generate the next term in the sequence.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying a constant value to the previous term.

How do you find the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series?

To find the sum of a finite arithmetic series, you can use the formula: S = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term. To find the sum of a finite geometric series, you can use the formula: S = a[(1-r^n)/(1-r)], where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.