What is the Normalized Ground State Energy of a 3-D Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary: I'm not just seeking the correct solution, but rather how I can tie what I've read to the advice from someone else. I do appreciate the help.To solve the problem, you need to apply the separation of variables technique. This involves assuming that the wavefunction can be separated into three functions, one for each coordinate. You have already done this, but you need to continue with the rest of the problem.The next step is to substitute the separated wavefunction into the time-independent Schrodinger equation. This will give you three separate differential equations, each with only one variable.From there, you can solve each equation separately to find the energy and wavefunction for each coordinate. Then, you can
pprie003

Homework Statement

What is the normalized ground state energy for the 3-D Harmonic Oscillator

Homework Equations

V(r) = 1/2m(w^2)(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the wave fn in spherical coordinates, and have tried using sep of variables, but keep getting stuck when trying to simplify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome in PF!
Ok concerning your first problem, have you tried what you can end up with when you view the problem in Cartesian coordinates instead?

See this

pprie003 said:

Homework Statement

What is the normalized ground state energy for the 3-D Harmonic Oscillator

Homework Equations

V(r) = 1/2m(w^2)(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the wave fn in spherical coordinates, and have tried using sep of variables, but keep getting stuck when trying to simplify.
That'll work, but we can't see what the actual problem is if you don't show any work.

Here is what I got:
## \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \Big[\frac {1} {r^2} \, \frac{∂}{∂r} \ \Big(r^2 \frac {∂}{∂r} \Big) \, + \frac {1} {r^2 \sinθ} \frac{∂}{∂θ} \, \Big( \sinθ \frac {∂} {∂θ} \Big) + \frac {1}{r^2 \sin^2θ} \, \frac {∂^2}{∂φ^2} \Big]ψ + \frac {1}{2} m \,ω^2 \, r^2ψ \ = Eψ##
Let ψ(r,θ,φ) = R(r)Θ(θ)Φ(φ)

Ok if you insist on working in spherical coordinate. Then the next step is substituting the separated wavefunction right, after which you will get separate differential equations each of which is only in ##r,\theta,## and ##\phi##. How do these equations look like?

pprie003 said:
Here is what I got:
## \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \Big[\frac {1} {r^2} \, \frac{∂}{∂r} \ \Big(r^2 \frac {∂}{∂r} \Big) \, + \frac {1} {r^2 \sinθ} \frac{∂}{∂θ} \, \Big( \sinθ \frac {∂} {∂θ} \Big) + \frac {1}{r^2 \sin^2θ} \, \frac {∂^2}{∂φ^2} \Big]ψ + \frac {1}{2} m \,ω^2 \, r^2ψ \ = Eψ##
This is hardly showing your work. Or if this is all you did, it doesn't really qualify yet as an attempt. If you're stuck at this point, you should go back and read your textbook, look at similar examples, and make some more headway before posting again. If you have a specific question, come back and ask that.

pprie003 said:
Please show that, otherwise we can't tell where you got stuck which makes it impossible to help.

Using cartesian coordinates is easier here.

Sorry I left out info, I was having a hard time writing the code, but here is the rest of the work (the problem tells me to work in spherical coordinates):
##ΘΦ \Big[\frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2} \, \frac{∂}{∂r} \ \Big(r^2 \frac {∂R}{∂r} \Big) + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, R \, \Big] + RΦ \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2 \sinθ} \frac{∂}{∂θ} \, \Big( \sinθ \frac {∂Θ} {∂θ} \Big) \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Θ \Big] + RΘ \, \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1}{r^2 \sin^2θ} \, \frac {∂^2Φ}{∂φ^2} \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Φ\Big] = ERΘΦ##

Next Divide by ψ:

## \frac {1} {R} \, \Big[\frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2} \, \frac{∂}{∂r} \ \Big(r^2 \frac {∂R}{∂r} \Big) + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, R \, \Big] + \frac {1} {Θ} \, \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2 \sinθ} \frac{∂}{∂θ} \, \Big( \sinθ \frac {∂Θ} {∂θ} \Big) \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Θ \Big] + \frac {1} {Φ} \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1}{r^2 \sin^2θ} \, \frac {∂^2Φ}{∂φ^2} \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Φ\Big] = E ##

It is at this point that I get lost. When I did this same problem in cartesian coordinates it separated nicely. I'm not sure what to do next. Obviously I have read and re-read my textbook (which I believe is not suitable for an intro class) with no such luck. Some things I have thought about (from READING) is substituting the square of the angular momentum operator and its eigen value, but not entirely sure how to approach this. I'm not just seeking the correct solution, but rather how I can tie what I've read to the advice from someone else. I do appreciate the help.

blue_leaf77 said:
Welcome in PF!
Ok concerning your first problem, have you tried what you can end up with when you view the problem in Cartesian coordinates instead?
Yes I did this problem, which separated nicely into 3 1-D Harmonic Oscillators, and was able to find the energy and first excited state wave fn as well as its degeneracy.

You have too many terms from the potential.
pprie003 said:
Sorry I left out info, I was having a hard time writing the code, but here is the rest of the work (the problem tells me to work in spherical coordinates):
##ΘΦ \Big[\frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2} \, \frac{∂}{∂r} \ \Big(r^2 \frac {∂R}{∂r} \Big) + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, R \, \Big] + RΦ \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1} {r^2 \sinθ} \frac{∂}{∂θ} \, \Big( \sinθ \frac {∂Θ} {∂θ} \Big) \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Θ \Big] + RΘ \, \Big[ \frac {- \hbar ^2} {2m} \, \frac {1}{r^2 \sin^2θ} \, \frac {∂^2Φ}{∂φ^2} \, + \frac {1} {2} m \, w^2 \, r^2 \, Φ\Big] = ERΘΦ##
When you applied the Laplacian to the wave function, you got
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\Theta\Phi \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 R') +R\Phi\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(\sin\theta\ \Theta') + R\Theta\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\Phi''\right].$$ That part was fine. Now you add in the potential term to get
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\Theta\Phi \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 R') +R\Phi\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(\sin\theta\ \Theta') + R\Theta\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\Phi''\right] + \frac 12 m\omega^2 r^2 R\Theta\Phi$$ for the lefthand side of the equation.

When you divide by ##R\Theta\Phi##, you'll be left with the term ##\frac 12 m\omega^2 r^2##. It only depends on ##r##, so group it in with the expression for the radial function.

First of all the term ##\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 r^2## should appear only once.

vela said:
You have too many terms from the potential.

When you applied the Laplacian to the wave function, you got
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\Theta\Phi \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 R') +R\Phi\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(\sin\theta\ \Theta') + R\Theta\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\Phi''\right].$$ That part was fine. Now you add in the potential term to get
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\Theta\Phi \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2 R') +R\Phi\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(\sin\theta\ \Theta') + R\Theta\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\Phi''\right] + \frac 12 m\omega^2 r^2 R\Theta\Phi$$ for the lefthand side of the equation.

When you divide by ##R\Theta\Phi##, you'll be left with the term ##\frac 12 m\omega^2 r^2##. It only depends on ##r##, so group it in with the expression for the radial function.

I don't know why I did all that extra stuff. Still, won't this leave the ## \frac{1}{r^2}## in the angular terms? Should I factor out that term, then substitute the square of angular momentum operator?

You can get rid of that ##r## dependence in those terms by multiplying both sides of the equation by ##r^2##.

Related to What is the Normalized Ground State Energy of a 3-D Harmonic Oscillator?

What is a harmonic oscillator in 3-D?

A harmonic oscillator in 3-D is a physical system that can be described by a potential energy function that follows the shape of a symmetric bowl or well. This potential energy function causes the system to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium position.

What are the key components of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D?

The key components of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D are the mass, spring constant, and the potential energy function. The mass is the object that is oscillating, the spring constant determines the strength of the spring, and the potential energy function describes the shape of the potential energy curve.

How is the motion of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D described?

The motion of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D can be described by a sinusoidal function. This function shows how the position of the object changes with respect to time. The amplitude of the function represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, while the period represents the time it takes for one complete oscillation.

What are the applications of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D?

A harmonic oscillator in 3-D has many applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, or the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice. It is also used in technologies such as lasers, microscopes, and electronic circuits.

How does the potential energy function affect the behavior of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D?

The shape of the potential energy function determines the behavior of a harmonic oscillator in 3-D. A steeper potential energy function results in a higher spring constant and therefore a faster oscillation. A shallower potential energy function results in a lower spring constant and a slower oscillation. The shape of the potential energy function also affects the equilibrium position and the amplitude of the oscillations.