What is the Normal Force on a 16.2 kg Object Being Pulled with 10.2N Force?

In summary, the normal force acting on the 16.2 kg object being pulled along a frictionless horizontal surface by a horizontal net force of 10.2N is equal to the weight of the object, which is 158.8N. This is because there is no vertical displacement and the vertical component of the horizontal force is equal to 0.
blue__boy
Question:
A 16.2 kg object is pulled along a frictionless horizontal surface by a horizontal net force of 10.2N. What is the normal force acting on the object?

Answer:
Fn= 16.2*9.8
=158.8

I am sure do i have to ignore the 10.2N force...
Thank you for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I'm not a physics major rather a struggling student myself, but this was last section for me, so I can try to help perhaps.. I think if you can say that Voy = 0 and Vfy=0 since there is no vertical displacement the normal force must be equal to the weight of the object, therefor: MG = Fn = (16.2)(9.8), unless there is a slope that the object is on affecting the acceleration you should keep the vertical / horizontal components separate.

Yes, that's correct.

Since, [tex]F_{n,y}+F_{w,y}+F_{y}[/tex](where F_n is the normal force and F_w is the weight; *y means in the y-component form) and we know that [tex]F_{y}=0[/tex](the y-component of the horizontal force) since the angle [tex]\theta=0[/tex] and [tex]F_{y}=Fsin(\theta)=0 [/tex], then the normal force would just be equal to the weight.

Last edited:
Well done.

Related to What is the Normal Force on a 16.2 kg Object Being Pulled with 10.2N Force?

1. What is a normal force?

A normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. It is also known as the support force or contact force.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is typically calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a): F = m*a. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object (mg) in the opposite direction of gravitational acceleration (g).

3. What is the relationship between normal force and weight?

The normal force and weight have an inverse relationship. As the weight of an object increases, the normal force also increases to balance it out. This is why we feel heavier on Earth than on the moon, where the gravitational force is weaker and therefore the normal force is also weaker.

4. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that resists the motion or attempted motion of an object across a surface. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between two surfaces in contact with each other. There are two types of friction: static and kinetic.

5. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. Static friction prevents an object from starting to move, while kinetic friction slows down an object in motion. Too much friction can also cause objects to overheat and wear down over time. However, friction is also necessary for many everyday tasks, such as walking, driving, and writing.