What Is the Nodal Voltage Vb When a 1k Resistor Is Shorted in an Op-Amp Circuit?

In summary, the user is seeking help with a homework problem involving nodal voltage and a 1k resistor. They have provided a link to an image, but it is not clear and may contain pop-ups. They have been directed to repost in the Homework Help forum.
Andrew123
Hi I was just wondering what the nodal voltage Vb would be if you shorted the 1k resistor shown in this pic: http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opampem4.jpg

also with that resistor in place what would the nodal voltage Vb be? i get 90.1mV

ty in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Couple problems. First, this should be posted in the Homework Help forums, not in the general EE forum. Homework and coursework belong in Homework Help, where I'm moving the thread now, leaving a redirect behind.

Second, the image at imageshack is not clear, at least not to me on my home laptop with IE.

Third, that imageshack URL results in multiple pop-ups with music and all kinds of garbage invading my laptop. Please upload a cleaner drawing to this thread, so we can help you out.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question about the operational amplifier and the nodal voltage Vb. The nodal voltage Vb depends on the circuit configuration and the values of the resistors. In the circuit shown in the image, if the 1k resistor is shorted, the nodal voltage Vb would be equal to the input voltage Vi (since there is no path for current to flow through the 1k resistor). However, if the 1k resistor is in place, the nodal voltage Vb would be determined by the voltage divider formed by the 1k and 10k resistors. This would result in a nodal voltage Vb of 90.1mV, as you correctly calculated.

It is important to note that the nodal voltage Vb is a crucial parameter in the analysis of operational amplifier circuits, as it helps determine the output voltage. I hope this helps answer your question. Happy experimenting!

Related to What Is the Nodal Voltage Vb When a 1k Resistor Is Shorted in an Op-Amp Circuit?

1. What is an operational amplifier?

An operational amplifier, or op-amp, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and high input impedance, making it useful for a variety of applications in electronics and signal processing.

2. How does an operational amplifier work?

An operational amplifier typically has two input terminals, an inverting (-) and non-inverting (+) input, and one output terminal. The input voltages are amplified by a large factor, determined by the internal circuitry of the op-amp, and the amplified output voltage is then fed back to the inverting input. This feedback loop helps to stabilize the output and increase the gain of the amplifier.

3. What are the common applications of operational amplifiers?

Operational amplifiers are commonly used in signal conditioning, filtering, and amplification circuits in electronic devices. They are also used in audio amplifiers, analog-to-digital converters, and voltage regulators. Additionally, op-amps are often used in feedback control systems for their high gain and low distortion characteristics.

4. What are the different types of operational amplifiers?

There are several different types of operational amplifiers, including differential amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and current feedback amplifiers. The most commonly used type is the general-purpose voltage feedback op-amp, which has a high gain and input impedance and low output impedance.

5. How do I choose the right operational amplifier for my circuit?

When selecting an operational amplifier for a specific application, it is important to consider factors such as the required gain, input and output impedances, power supply voltage, and bandwidth. It is also important to ensure that the op-amp can operate within the desired temperature and noise specifications. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's datasheet for detailed information and to test the op-amp in the specific circuit before final selection.