What is the next step after finding the k-value in half-life calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to determine the age of a rock based on the half-life of an element. The k-value is used to find the abundance at time 0, and for elements such as carbon, the current atmospheric level is used. Other isotopes may require the use of relative concentrations.
mateomy
Maybe this is a dumb question...

Let's say I want to figure out the age of a rock and I have the half life of an element.
If I have this equation
[tex]
y(t)=e^{kt}[/tex]
where first I figure out the k-value using the half life. That part I get.

Now that I have the k-value I 're-use' the formula but instead of put 0.5 for y(t) as before I put what exactly? Do I use the natural abundance of the element? This is assuming I wasn't given any information except 'figure out how old this rock is using element X'.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation, y is a ratio of abundances at different times. So to determine t you need to know the abundance at time 0.

How would you know that if you weren't told?

mateomy said:
How would you know that if you weren't told?
Depends. Take carbon dating. The theory is that C14 is continually created high in the atmosphere at a steady rate as a result of radiation, so the level in the atmosphere is constant. Creation rate matches decay rate. Once captured at ground level, the decay continues but creation stops. So the initial level is taken to be the current atmospheric level. I don't know whether known variations in atmospheric concentrations of carbon are taken into account.
For other isotopes, I believe there's some way to use the relative concentrations of a mix of isotopes, but I don't know how this works.

Hmmmm...

Okay, thanks.

Related to What is the next step after finding the k-value in half-life calculations?

1. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay. It is a constant value for each radioactive element and is used to measure the rate of decay.

2. How is half-life calculated?

The half-life of a substance can be calculated using the following formula: t1/2 = (ln2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln2 is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant of the substance.

3. What is the importance of half-life calculations?

Half-life calculations are important in many scientific fields, including medicine, archaeology, and environmental science. It allows us to determine the age of a substance or the rate of decay, which can provide valuable information about the substance and its effects.

4. How do factors like temperature and pressure affect half-life calculations?

Temperature and pressure can affect the rate of decay and therefore the half-life of a substance. Higher temperatures and pressures can speed up the decay process, while lower temperatures and pressures can slow it down.

5. Can half-life calculations be used for any type of substance?

Half-life calculations are primarily used for radioactive substances, but the concept can also be applied to other types of decay processes, such as chemical reactions and biological processes. However, the specific formula and calculations may differ depending on the type of substance.