What is the net work done on the boat by the two locomotives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net work done on a boat being pulled by two locomotives through a canal. The tension in each cable is given as 4.17E4 N at an angle of 16.7°. The approach used is to find the total tension in each string by multiplying 4.17E4 by 2, which gives 8.34E4 N. Then, the total work is found by multiplying this tension by the length of the canal (2.39 km), which results in 1.99E8 J. However, this is incorrect and after further calculations, it is determined that the correct answer is 1.91E8 J. The mistake was
leezak
The drawing shows a boat being pulled by two locomotives through a canal of length 2.39 km. The tension in each cable is 4.17E4 N, and = 16.7°. What is the net work done on the boat by the two locomotives?

first I used W=fd... i multiplied 4.17E4 * 2 = 8.34E4 to get the total tension in each string. then to get the total work i multiplied that by 2390 (m) = 1.99E8... i divided that by two to get the work in each string = 9.97E7... then i realized that would be the tension in each string if the string was perpendicular to the boat so i found the hypotenuse using cos(16.7)=9.97E7/H that gave me 1.04E8. in order to get the net work i multiplied that by two becuase there are two strings and i got 2.08E8 J. that answer is wrong and i can't figure out why... can someone help please?! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach seems correct. You may have a math mistake somewhere. I got 1.91E8 J.

leezak said:
... so i found the hypotenuse using cos(16.7)=9.97E7/H that gave me 1.04E8. ...
Looks like you divided by cos(16.7) instead of multiplying by it :smile:

I got the same as Hotvette.

but if i am trying to find the hypotenuse of the triangle... shouldn't i divide instead of multiply?

The tension on the cable represents the hypotenuse. What you want is the component in the direction of travel.

oh thank you!

Related to What is the net work done on the boat by the two locomotives?

1. What is the definition of net work?

Net work is the total amount of work done on an object by all forces acting on it, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the forces.

2. How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. Can you explain the concept of net work using an example?

For example, if a boat is being pulled by two locomotives in opposite directions with a force of 50 N and the boat moves a distance of 10 meters, the net work done on the boat would be 500 Joules (50 N x 10 m) in the direction of the stronger locomotive.

4. How do the directions of the forces affect the net work?

If the forces acting on an object are in the same direction, the net work will be positive. If the forces are in opposite directions, the net work will be negative.

5. Why is it important to consider the direction of forces when calculating net work?

The direction of forces is important to consider because it determines the direction of the net work, which tells us whether the object is gaining or losing energy. It also helps to determine the overall motion and behavior of the object.