What is the net force on a door with multiple forces acting on it?

In summary, a regular house door is being pushed by two children and their mother, with three forces acting on it. The first force, 50N, is acting perpendicular to the door at a distance of 0.05m. The second force, also 50N, is acting at a right angle to the door frame at a distance of 0.07m. The third force, 100N, is in the opposite direction and acting perpendicular to the door frame or wall at a distance of 0.1m. To calculate the sum of forces, the last force is subtracted from the first two, as it is in a clockwise direction. When considering moments, the last force is given a positive notation and
Pete789

Homework Statement

A regular house door has 3 forces acting on it.At the moment the door is open by 35 deg. Let's say two children are pushing on a door and mum is on the other side pushing back
1/ at 0.05m is 50N acting directly perpendicular to the door
2/ at 0.07m is 50N acting at right angles to the door frame
3/ At 0.1m is an opposite direction force (clockwise[mum]from the other side of the door of 100n acting (as in case 2) perpendicular to the door frame or wall.

Homework Equations

What is the sum of forces??

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows
Summation sign:?::: =(50N) (0.05m) + (50N) (0.07 cos 35Deg) - (100N) (0.1 cos 35Deg)

I am working of Moavini page 264.

I am essentially asking if my equation is correct in that i have SUBTRACTED the last force as it opposes the first two - am i right?? I subtract because the is clockwise not anti clockwise

Thanks ahead every body... keen engineering student... Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter welcome to the Forums!

Are you looking for sum of forces or sum of moments? If moments about the hinged size of the door, and your distances are measured from that side, then your answer for sum of moments looks good. Your subtraction of the last term is also correct. I don't have a copy of Moavani page 264 handy:smile:

Right thanks Phan, My teacher answered me to say that

Anti clockwise forces are given a negative notation and
Clockwise forces a positive notation. Although you can swap those values around, i think it is a good bookeeping excercise - as opposing forces are negative.

which is where i went wrong.

thanks ..Peter

Last edited:

Related to What is the net force on a door with multiple forces acting on it?

1. What is moment of force on a door?

The moment of force on a door is the measure of the rotational force or torque applied to the door. It is also known as "turning effect" and is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

2. What factors affect the moment of force on a door?

The moment of force on a door is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied.

3. How is the moment of force on a door calculated?

The moment of force on a door is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and then multiplying that by the sine of the angle between the force and the door.

4. What is the importance of the moment of force on a door?

The moment of force on a door is important because it affects the ease of opening and closing the door. A higher moment of force requires more force to open or close the door, while a lower moment of force makes the door easier to operate.

5. How can the moment of force on a door be reduced?

The moment of force on a door can be reduced by decreasing the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, or by decreasing the magnitude of the force. This can be achieved by using a longer handle or applying the force at a different angle.