What is the name of two harmonics combined ?

• Thread starter harmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, multiharmonics is a term used in physics to describe a range of intervals that have a greater value than a single harmonic.
harmon
Dear people.

I am working on music theory and I am making a program to derive musical scales, but I need a name for the interval of combining to harmonic intervals. Etc. if I multiply 4/3 with 5/4 I get 5/3. But what is the correct words for such intervals (except that a few of them actually have names in music theory and the ratio 5/3 is named a major sixth, but I am looking for a name for the whole group of such intervals) ? I have seen that there is something called a multiharmonic in physics, but I haven't been able to find a definition of that word. I don't think that partials or overtones are precise words as the cover a lot more ! Can anyone please tell me the definition of multiharmonic and if that is not the word I am searching for, what is the word for intervals such as 5/3. Do anyone knows about good in depth texts or books about the subject.

Thanks

Harmon

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Thanks for you reply. Actually tables such as the one you are referring to are based on the 12 note systems normally used in western music, and are only covering a few of the intervals coming from combining two of the harmonics. Also only the just intonation gives the precise ratios, but are not used in the music scales used (normally) today, as it is not possible (at least no one has done it) to make them fit into a 12 note system. Therefore our music scales are not really harmonic, which many consider a problem ! If you for example combine all the harmonics from the 3. to the 10. you will get 300 combinations or ratios (of which a few of them have equal values or are precise harmonics). My question is what to call these combinations. And since this a forum for physics, I am hoping that someone will explain what physicists mean with the term multiharmonics used in some text covering advanced physics.

Kind regards

Harmon

Related to What is the name of two harmonics combined ?

What is the name of two harmonics combined?

The name of two harmonics combined is a beat frequency. It refers to the perceived frequency that occurs when two different frequencies are played at the same time.

What is a harmonic?

A harmonic is a component frequency of a complex waveform. It is a multiple of the fundamental frequency and contributes to the overall sound of a tone.

How are harmonics created?

Harmonics are created when a wave is divided into equal parts, and each part vibrates at a different frequency. This results in a complex waveform with multiple component frequencies.

Can harmonics be heard in everyday life?

Yes, harmonics are present in many sounds we hear every day. For example, the sound of a guitar string being plucked contains multiple harmonics, which give the note its unique tone.

Why is understanding harmonics important in science?

Understanding harmonics is essential in various fields of science, such as acoustics, physics, and engineering. It helps us understand the properties of sound and how it can be manipulated for various purposes, such as in music or communication.