What Is the Name of the Phenomenon Where Hot Water Freezes Faster Than Cold?

• Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomena
In summary, the Mpemba effect is the phenomenon where hot liquids freeze quicker than cold liquids under certain conditions. The name comes from a Tanzanian student who noticed this effect while making ice cream. There are different ways to pronounce Mpemba, including "pem ba," "mem ba," and "ma pem ba." The explanation for this effect is still debated, but some theories suggest that it is due to evaporation and the formation of a layer of insulating gas around the hot liquid. A mathematical model has also been proposed to explain this phenomenon. The Mpemba effect has been published and is a topic of interest in the scientific community.
houlahound
The one where hot liquids freeze quicker than cold liquids under certain conditions.

Tried to search it but can't recall the name, some African sounding name like Memoba effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol, I give myself a mark for being close.

Thanks for clarifying, admins might want to delete thread now as it served its purpose.

Apparently what I proposed are shape memory matresses used in hospitals...funny.

houlahound said:
Thanks for clarifying, admins might want to delete thread now as it served its purpose.

Threads don't get deleted for that
as you may have noticed, the various sections of the forum are full of 1000's of threads stretching back many years

They stay so that other people may find the info and also be helped :smile:

Even I learned something new ... hadn't heard of that effect before

Dave

Just to make this thread instructive for me too, how should I pronounce Mpemba?

Any way, who's going to know if your wrong?

I didn't ask whether my pronunciation is right or wrong, I asked how should I pronounce it. Of course its not easy to answer this question in text form, but I'm targeting people who know how to do that. One method is using a word with a known similar pronunciation.

Shyan said:
I asked how should I pronounce it.

searching around, the 2 common ways were

pem ba ( silent M)
Mem ba ( silent p)

still trying to find the correct one

EDIT ok a 3rd variation and hearing the guy say it

Ma pem baDave

Likes ShayanJ
aaaah floating ice cubes freed from the surface of the container allowing more ice to form.elegant thought experiment explanation, anyone view his math link??

published?

good find.

Related to What Is the Name of the Phenomenon Where Hot Water Freezes Faster Than Cold?

1. What is the correct name of this phenomena?

The correct name of a phenomena is the term used to describe a specific event, process, or occurrence in the natural world. It is the most accurate and scientifically accepted term for that particular phenomena.

2. Why is it important to use the correct name of a phenomena?

Using the correct name of a phenomena is important because it allows for clear communication among scientists and researchers. It also ensures that accurate information is being shared and prevents confusion or misunderstandings.

3. How are the names of phenomena determined?

The names of phenomena are determined through a rigorous process of observation, experimentation, and peer-review within the scientific community. They are often based on the characteristics, causes, or effects of the phenomena.

4. Can the name of a phenomena change over time?

Yes, the name of a phenomena can change over time as new research and discoveries are made. As our understanding and knowledge of the natural world evolves, so do the names and classifications of different phenomena.

5. Are there different naming systems for different fields of science?

Yes, different fields of science may use different naming systems for phenomena. For example, biological phenomena may be named using Latin or Greek terms, while physical phenomena may be named using mathematical equations or symbols. However, there is often overlap and collaboration among different fields to ensure consistency and accuracy in naming.