What is the most efficient way to collect pure gas bubbles without pumps?

In summary, the bubbles are natural gas, lighter than air and can be collected by directing them into a funnel and up a hose and into an airtight collection vessel. The pressure required before the air in the pipes and vessel will be expelled back out the funnel, through the water and back to the air is unknown, but can be tested by filling a jar with water and inverting it to place its top under water.
olmec

Homework Statement

I am attempting to collect bubbles that are being produced under the water surface.

The bubbles are natural gas, lighter than air

I can collect the by bubbles by directing them into a funnel and up a hose and into an airtight collection vessel.

I want to know what pressure is required before the air in the pipes and vessel will be expelled back out the funnel, through the water and back to the air. Mouth of the funnel is several centimetres under the surface of the water.

Can anyone think of a better way of doing this without pumps etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not fill a jar with water, invert it and place its top under water, and direct the propane into the jar? The water will be pushed out and the propane will float to the top.

Yes, this does work. I have done this to test the burn-ability of the bubbles and confirm they are natural gas.

I then moved on to a closed system with a collector drum filled with water and a funnel suspended above the bubbles (under the water surface) because the drum and water was only slightly higher, the water stayed in the collector until the gas replaced it. I had pure gas to burn.

Because the bubbles are small, collection is slow. Also, the location is not easily accessible so I wanted to have a long hose from the source up the cliff to the collector at the top for better access.

I am now thinking of attaching a collection pipe directly to the rock where the bubbles emerge and seal it so bubbles have to go up the tube to collector.

Would be nice to have a way of knowing when the collector was full and have only gas (no air). Your approach (and my first attempt) worked well to ensure only gas and when the collector was light (not filled with water) then it was full.

Related to What is the most efficient way to collect pure gas bubbles without pumps?

What is the purpose of collecting pure gas bubbles?

The purpose of collecting pure gas bubbles is to study their composition and properties. This information can help us understand the chemical and physical processes that produce these bubbles and their potential impact on the environment.

How are pure gas bubbles collected?

Pure gas bubbles can be collected using various techniques such as underwater probes, sediment traps, and gas traps. These methods involve trapping the bubbles in a container or on a filter to be analyzed later in a laboratory.

What type of equipment is needed for collecting pure gas bubbles?

The equipment needed for collecting pure gas bubbles depends on the collection method. Underwater probes may require a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) or a diving suit, while sediment traps and gas traps may require specialized containers, filters, and pumps.

What precautions should be taken when collecting pure gas bubbles?

When collecting pure gas bubbles, it is important to avoid contamination from surrounding water or air. This can be achieved by using clean and sterile equipment and collecting samples in a controlled environment. Additionally, safety precautions should be taken when handling potentially hazardous gases.

What can we learn from studying pure gas bubbles?

Studying pure gas bubbles can provide valuable information about the chemical and physical processes that produce them, as well as their potential impact on the environment. This knowledge can help us better understand natural phenomena such as volcanic eruptions, underwater gas seeps, and methane release from melting permafrost.