What is the most efficient method for solving this gravitational field problem?

In summary, the magnitude of gravitational field at Q due to a thin hemispherical shell of mass M and radius R is given by ##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0##. This can be found by considering the field at Q as the sum of the field from a whole sphere and the field from an imaginary hemisphere of mass -M covering the lower half of the sphere.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A thin hemispherical shell of mass M and radius R is placed as shown in figure. The magnitude of gravitational field at P due to the hemispherical shell is ##I_0##. The magnitude of gravitational field at Q due to thin hemispherical shell is given by

A)##I_0/2##

B)##I_0##

C)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0##

D)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+I_0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the problem using spherical coordinates and ended up with some messy integrals. Since this is an exam problem, I wonder if I really need to solve those integrals as it would take a lot of time. (I solved the integrals using Wolfram Alpha and the result was not nice so I immediately dropped the approach.) I believe there is a shorter way to solve this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• hemisphere.png
    hemisphere.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

A thin hemispherical shell of mass M and radius R is placed as shown in figure. The magnitude of gravitational field at P due to the hemispherical shell is ##I_0##. The magnitude of gravitational field at Q due to thin hemispherical shell is given by

A)##I_0/2##

B)##I_0##

C)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0##

D)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+I_0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the problem using spherical coordinates and ended up with some messy integrals. Since this is an exam problem, I wonder if I really need to solve those integrals as it would take a lot of time. (I solved the integrals using Wolfram Alpha and the result was not nice so I immediately dropped the approach.) I believe there is a shorter way to solve this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

There is a much faster way. You can picture the field due to the hemisphere as the sum of the field from a whole sphere and the field from an imaginary hemisphere of mass -M covering the lower half of the sphere.

Hi Dick! :)

Dick said:
There is a much faster way. You can picture the field due to the hemisphere as the sum of the field from a whole sphere and the field from an imaginary hemisphere of mass -M covering the lower half of the sphere.

I consider a sphere of radius R and mass 2M.

The field at P is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E_{-M}=I_0=E_M$$

where ##E_{-M}## represents field at P due to the imaginary hemisphere of mass -M and ##E_M## represents the field at P due to hemisphere of mass M.

The field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E'_{-M}$$

where ##E'_{-M}## is the field at Q due to imaginary hemisphere of mass -M.

Since ##E'_{-M}=-E_M=-I_0##, the field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0$$

Is this correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Dick! :)

I consider a sphere of radius R and mass 2M.

The field at P is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E_{-M}=I_0=E_M$$

where ##E_{-M}## represents field at P due to the imaginary hemisphere of mass -M and ##E_M## represents the field at P due to hemisphere of mass M.

The field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+E'_{-M}$$

where ##E'_{-M}## is the field at Q due to imaginary hemisphere of mass -M.

Since ##E'_{-M}=-E_M=-I_0##, the field at Q is given by:

$$\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0$$

Is this correct?

Hi Pranav-Arora! Yes, that's correct. This sort of a method is called 'using superposition'. For sort of obvious reasons.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! Yes, that's correct. This sort of a method is called 'using superposition'. For sort of obvious reasons.

Yes, I have heard of this method, thanks a lot Dick! :smile:

Related to What is the most efficient method for solving this gravitational field problem?

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass. It is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the force of gravity and how objects are attracted to each other.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational field strength, which is the force felt by a unit mass at a certain point in the field. It is measured in units of newtons per kilogram (N/kg).

3. How does the mass and distance between objects affect the strength of a gravitational field?

The strength of a gravitational field is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the mass of the objects increases, the gravitational field strength also increases, while increasing the distance between them decreases the field strength.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its gravitational field?

The shape of an object does not affect its gravitational field. The strength of the field only depends on the mass of the object, not its shape. However, the distribution of mass within an object can affect the gravitational field it produces.

5. What is the difference between a gravitational field and a gravitational force?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a force of gravity can be felt, while a gravitational force is the actual force exerted on an object due to the presence of a gravitational field. The field is a concept that explains the force, while the force is the actual interaction between masses.