What is the most effective way to prevent pipes from freezing in a cold attic?

• Thread starter PatGV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary, the conversation revolves around a previous incident of a broken pipe in the attic space that caused over 400,000 in damages and the current concern of facing another prolonged cold spell. The contractor's solution is to open a four foot door from the heated bedroom to the attic space, but the homeowner is skeptical and wants to try other solutions such as setting an electric heater in the attic space and closing the door between the bedroom and the attic. There is a discussion about the possibility of freezing pipes and the suggestion to keep the water moving in the pipes or using heating cable. Another contractor is recommended for a second opinion. In the end, a HVAC company advises against opening the attic door and suggests further insulation and a sensor control in the
PatGV
In January 2014 we had a pipe break on the third floor adjacent to an attic space which housed water pipes to the baseboard heat. After over 400,00 in repairs and eight months of not being able to use the house, we are facing another prolonged cold spell. The pipes in the attic do have insulation around them, but the space is still very cold. The contractor's solution to avoiding another problem is opening a four foot door from the heated bedroom to the attic space...Claiming that this will keep the pipes from freezing. I wanted to set an electric heater in the attic space and close the door between the bedroom and the attic and try to maintain an above freezing temperature. One can see light at the eves in the attic so the cold air is seeping in from the outside. I am a cynic and second guessing the contractor. This property is on the ocean and subject to very strong winds.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not possible for us to determine with certainty whether this will keep your pipes from freezing, but I'd guess that either one would help.

Hmm. Attics are supposed to be cold in the winter. You don't really want to have your attic like it is part of the rest of the house because that can cause the snow to melt and form ice jams on the roof. This is one reason why attics are well ventilated. I know that if I tried to heat my attic all of the heat would escape from the soffet vents and be lost to the outside.

Where are the pipes? Are they in the attic or between say, the attic walls and a bathroom?

Get an opinion from another contractor.

PatGV said:
In January 2014 we had a pipe break on the third floor adjacent to an attic space which housed water pipes to the baseboard heat. After over 400,00 in repairs and eight months of not being able to use the house, we are facing another prolonged cold spell. The pipes in the attic do have insulation around them, but the space is still very cold. The contractor's solution to avoiding another problem is opening a four foot door from the heated bedroom to the attic space...Claiming that this will keep the pipes from freezing. I wanted to set an electric heater in the attic space and close the door between the bedroom and the attic and try to maintain an above freezing temperature. One can see light at the eves in the attic so the cold air is seeping in from the outside. I am a cynic and second guessing the contractor. This property is on the ocean and subject to very strong winds.

Very peculiar.
But anyways, we would need to see images of exactly where in the attic the pipes are located to best solve this problem.

One possible solution - keep the water moving in the pipes.

Likes OmCheeto
Yes. I had to do that in an apartment when it got below about 10 degrees F because the pipes ran under a crawl space that was not well insulated. Let the faucet drip.

You do not mention why the pipe broke? Was it due to the water freezing in them, which seems odd since you say are for the baseboard heat, in which case the water should be moving and heated, and do not shut off any heater. Are the pipes old and corroded, in which case you will have to look at the rest of the system to see what shape it is in.

With 40,000 in repairs, that may have already been done. Check your bill of repairs.
If unsure, as already mentioned, talk to another contractor. Do NOT heat the attic.

If freezing was the problem, you can consider heating cable, but make sure all building codes and insurance guidlines are respected before persuing that avenue prior to that type of installation.

256bits said:
You do not mention why the pipe broke? Was it due to the water freezing in them, which seems odd since you say are for the baseboard heat, in which case the water should be moving and heated, and do not shut off any heater. Are the pipes old and corroded, in which case you will have to look at the rest of the system to see what shape it is in.

With 40,000 in repairs, that may have already been done. Check your bill of repairs.
If unsure, as already mentioned, talk to another contractor. Do NOT heat the attic.

If freezing was the problem, you can consider heating cable, but make sure all building codes and insurance guidlines are respected before persuing that avenue prior to that type of installation.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Had a HVAC company survey the area. And his suggestions were:

Close the four foot door to the attic as cold flows to warm and nothing to be gained.

The house is zoned in six areas. The third floor thermostat is at the top of the stairs to the third floor and since hot air rises, the baseboard heat is being satisfied by the warm air from the first and second floor.

He suggested further insulation of the attic; some areas register 11 degrees.

He suggested that we not move the thermost! but place a sensor control in the large closet adjacent to the bedroom where it will not be affected by the heat traveling up the steps.

Yes the pipes for the baseboard heat are in the attic. Even though we seldom use the third floor, we must keep the area warm so that the water in the pipes is moving and then there will be no problem.

For now I have lowered the temperature on the second floor thermostats and raised the third floor.

The broken pipe in January 2014 was at the baseboard heat in the closet adjacent to the attic wall. We had insurance, but not sufficient to cover over 400,000 in damages. This why I am paranoid

Related to What is the most effective way to prevent pipes from freezing in a cold attic?

1. How can I insulate my attic to keep it warm?

The best way to insulate your attic is to use a combination of insulation materials, such as fiberglass batts, blown-in cellulose, and foam insulation. It's important to also seal any air leaks in the attic to prevent cold air from entering.

2. Can I use space heaters to warm up my cold attic?

Space heaters are not recommended for warming up attics as they can be a fire hazard. Additionally, they are not very effective at heating large spaces like attics.

3. Should I use a radiant barrier in my attic?

Radiant barriers can be effective in reflecting heat back into the attic during the winter. However, they are not a substitute for proper insulation and sealing air leaks. It's best to use a combination of insulation and radiant barrier for optimal results.

4. How often should I check my attic insulation?

It's recommended to check your attic insulation at least once a year to make sure it is still in good condition and has not been damaged by pests or moisture. If you notice any areas where insulation is thin or missing, it's important to replace it to maintain a warm attic.

5. Can I use my attic for storage if it's properly insulated?

While a properly insulated attic can help keep the rest of your house warm, it's not recommended to use it for storage. Adding weight to the attic can compress the insulation and reduce its effectiveness. It's best to keep the attic space clear to ensure proper insulation coverage.