What is the Most Accurate Mass for Rigel?

• I
  • Thread starter darkness626
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: This makes it less reliable. The next two sources are also from 2012-2016, but are not as up to date as the first. They also cite a different value for the star's mass. Finally, there is an older source that has the star listed at 18 solar masses. It's worth noting that this source is not as recent as the others, and may not be as reliable.
darkness626
TL;DR Summary
I need an accurate source for Rigel's mass.
I see so many different sources using different masses for Rigel. The most common of the bunch seem to be 17-18 solar masses. There are also a couple that give it 24 Sol masses. One astronomy book even cited it as 23, and another at 20. I cannot stand this discrepancy and would like to know what would be considered the "most accurate" mass for Rigel.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean when you say you "cannot stand this discrepancy?" Do you not understand that any measurement has uncertainty? Measuring the mass of a distant star can be difficult. How accurate do you expect the measurements to be?

Likes davenn
darkness626 said:
Summary: I need an accurate source for Rigel's mass.

I see so many different sources using different masses for Rigel. The most common of the bunch seem to be 17-18 solar masses. There are also a couple that give it 24 Sol masses. One astronomy book even cited it as 23, and another at 20. I cannot stand this discrepancy and would like to know what would be considered the "most accurate" mass for Rigel.
Is there a significant spread of age in the various sources you mention? Is there a measure of consistency in the most recent?

phyzguy said:
What do you mean when you say you "cannot stand this discrepancy?" Do you not understand that any measurement has uncertainty? Measuring the mass of a distant star can be difficult. How accurate do you expect the measurements to be?
I am doing a relatively important calculation that requires the mass of Rigel. Using the wrong number will change the final result by a fair amount. Much more than a few decimal points.
Do you not understand that any measurement has uncertainty?
Of course I understand that all measurements have uncertainty. However not all methods are equal, some are more inaccurate than others.
How accurate do you expect the measurements to be?
They don't have to be perfect. I simply wish to know that based on modern science, what the most accurate measurement is. The one most within the margin of error for best accuracy.

Ophiolite said:
Is there a significant spread of age in the various sources you mention? Is there a measure of consistency in the most recent?
One such source is wikipedia, currently listing it as 21 plus or minus 3. I do not know how accurate they are. I'm not sure where Google gets their sources, so I can;t give a date. But, they say 18. I'd assume that these 2 numbers come from before 2005, which is the earliest Wikipedia included that mass. Yet another source from astronomytrek uses 17 masses, with the article being from 2016. Strangely enough, the very article that calls Rigel 17 solar masses, then calls it 24. Seriously? The source citing 20 solar masses is from 1998. Another source: Astropixels, has the star at 17 solar masses. Article was made in 2012. There was yet another source from SolarSystemQuick listing it as 18 solar masses. I'd assume it was published somewhere in the 2010s. Can't give a specific age for the article.

Without running down the primary sources it sounds like your sources are all relatively modern and in agreement with each other (within the range of uncertainty). You would probably get a better overall picture by doing a wide survey of relevant research papers but I'd doubt it would improve the number much.

darkness626 said:
One such source is wikipedia, currently listing it as 21 plus or minus 3. I do not know how accurate they are. I'm not sure where Google gets their sources, so I can;t give a date. But, they say 18. I'd assume that these 2 numbers come from before 2005, which is the earliest Wikipedia included that mass. Yet another source from astronomytrek uses 17 masses, with the article being from 2016. Strangely enough, the very article that calls Rigel 17 solar masses, then calls it 24. Seriously? The source citing 20 solar masses is from 1998. Another source: Astropixels, has the star at 17 solar masses. Article was made in 2012. There was yet another source from SolarSystemQuick listing it as 18 solar masses. I'd assume it was published somewhere in the 2010s. Can't give a specific age for the article.
Do note that you really have just one valid source here, and that is Wikipedia. It's the only one that itself provides sources for its data. The remainder of the pages don't, and as such should not be considered valid. You don't know where their values come from, and there's no way to check outside of emailing the authors. Furthermore, those pages are not affiliated with research institutions, which means it's not a good assumption that they are kept up to date and valid.
The source Wiki cites is itself not a primary one, but refers to papers by Przybilla et al. from 2005 and 2010.

Bandersnatch said:
Do note that you really have just one valid source here, and that is Wikipedia. It's the only one that itself provides sources for its data. The remainder of the pages don't, and as such should not be considered valid. You don't know where their values come from, and there's no way to check outside of emailing the authors. Furthermore, those pages are not affiliated with research institutions, which means it's not a good assumption that they are kept up to date and valid.
The source Wiki cites is itself not a primary one, but refers to papers by Przybilla et al. from 2005 and 2010.
It would appear that 21 solar masses is the average with plus or minus 3 being the margin of error. That probably explains why some of the sources cite it as 18 or 24. In that case, perhaps I should just use 21 as the mean.

darkness626 said:
I am doing a relatively important calculation that requires the mass of Rigel.
Do you mind satisfying our curiosity; what calculation is that?

anorlunda said:
Do you mind satisfying our curiosity; what calculation is that?
I'm revising a part of the tiering system for Vsbattles. I was looking at the calculation that gave statistics for "baseline" Large Star level and noticed that there wasn't a source for Rigel being 23 solar masses, meanwhile most of them used 17 or 24. Since there were so many differences on the solar mass, I asked around here hoping to find an accurate number to use in the calculation.

Like I said, it's only "relatively" important since I doubt many people are interested in the affairs of a battleboard. But of course, we do rely on scientific calculations for giving characters statistics, and that means striving for accuracy.

1. What is the most accurate method for determining the mass of Rigel?

The most accurate method for determining the mass of Rigel is through gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies. By studying the orbital paths and velocities of nearby stars and planets, scientists can calculate the mass of Rigel using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

2. How does the mass of Rigel compare to other stars?

Rigel is a supergiant star with a mass estimated to be around 17 times that of our Sun. This makes it significantly more massive than most stars in our galaxy, including our Sun.

3. Can the mass of Rigel change over time?

Yes, the mass of Rigel can change over time. As a star, Rigel undergoes nuclear fusion in its core, converting hydrogen into helium. This process releases energy and causes the star to gradually lose mass over its lifetime.

4. How do scientists determine the mass of Rigel if it is not part of a binary system?

If Rigel is not part of a binary system, scientists can still estimate its mass by studying its spectral characteristics. By analyzing the star's luminosity, temperature, and spectral lines, scientists can use mathematical models to estimate its mass.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine the mass of Rigel?

Accurately determining the mass of Rigel is important for understanding the life cycle of massive stars. It also helps scientists to better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as massive stars like Rigel play a crucial role in shaping the structure and dynamics of their host galaxies.