What is the moment of inertia of a cone spinning about its symmetry axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia and center of mass of a uniform cone spinning about its symmetry axis. The discussed method involves slicing the cone into disks and adding up their individual moments of inertia. It is suggested to write down the reasoning at each step to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy.
oliveyew1

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia and center of mass of:
A uniform cone of mass M, height h, and
base radius R, spinning about its symmetry
(x) axis.

Homework Equations

I = ∫R^2dm

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using I =∫R^2dm, solving for dm I got dm=(M/V)dV, with dV = piR^2*dx. Thus, ∫R^2*(M/V)piR^2*dx V = 1/3*piR^2*h, so ∫R^2*M*(1/(1/3*piR^2*h))piR^2dx. Pi and R^2 cancel, so ∫3(M/h^3)R^2x^2dx, which gets me MR^2, and the right answer is (3/10)MR^2

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is that r is the perpendicular distance from the rotation axis of a small mass dm ... the moment of inertia of that mass is r2dm ... and you add up all the wee masses. It looks to me that you may have attempted to use a method intended for a point mass on a cylindrical one.

You appear to have adopted the strategy of slicing the cone into disks with x being the rotational axis. So the disks have thickness ##dx## and area ##\pi r^2 ## did you realize that the radius of the disk at x s a function of x?

You have a better shortcut though - you already know the moment of inertia of a disk ;) So why not just add them up? $$I=\int_0^h I_{disk}(x)dx$$

The best way to handle these is to write down you reasoning at each step - in words.
Avoids the need for this kind of guesswork on the part of people checking and/or marking your work ;)

Related to What is the moment of inertia of a cone spinning about its symmetry axis?

1. What is the formula for the moment of inertia of a cone?

The formula for the moment of inertia of a cone is I = 3/10 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the cone and r is the radius of the base.

2. How does the moment of inertia of a cone compare to that of a solid cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cone is equal to 3/10 times the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius.

3. Does the height of the cone affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the height of the cone does affect its moment of inertia. A taller cone will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a shorter cone with the same mass and base radius.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of a cone?

The distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia of a cone in the same way it affects the moment of inertia of any object. If the mass is concentrated closer to the center, the moment of inertia will be smaller. If the mass is distributed farther away from the center, the moment of inertia will be larger.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a cone change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cone can change if the mass or the radius changes. It can also change if the cone is rotating around a different axis. However, the moment of inertia will always be proportional to the mass and the square of the radius.