What is the Moment of Inertia for a Non-Uniform Cane with Attached Device?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia for a cane with non-uniform density and a device attached to it. The center of mass was found in a crude way and the axis of rotation was determined. The person is seeking help in finding the moment of inertia at this axis and is unsure of how to calculate it from the frequency of oscillation. A refresher on pendulums and the concept of inertia is provided, with the explanation that points farther away from the rotation pivot move faster.
UKDv12
I have a cane with non-uniform density and I'm trying to find its moment of inertia. There is no equation for its mass/density vs. length. If you need to picture it, it's a folding White Cane used by the blind. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VB0CG0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I found the center of mass in a crude way by just trying to balance it. The axis of rotation should be about 12 cm down from the handle, or 126.5 cm from the bottom, since this is where it is often held. I was wondering if anyone could help me find its moment of inertia at this axis.

Cane Length: 138.5 cm
Center of Mass: 63.5 cm from the handle, 75 cm from the bottom
Cane Weight: 255.15 grams

I am also trying to find the moment of inertia when a device weighing 230 grams is attached 30 cm from the top of the cane. The center of mass of the entire apparatus when the device is added is 50 cm from the handle of the cane and 88.5 from the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That information is not sufficient in determining the inertia. What you can do is swing it like a pendulum and find the frequency of oscillation, then you can calculate the inertia.

Sorry, I don't quite follow. I'm confused on how I calculate moment of inertia from frequency.

I've taken a look at that, but I don't understand why the radius of gyration is different from the distance from the pivot to the center of mass.

Because points farther away from the rotation pivot move faster. Now you're getting into low level physics, i.e. asking why we define inertia of a particle as mr^2 etc.

Related to What is the Moment of Inertia for a Non-Uniform Cane with Attached Device?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property of an object that depends on its mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. Why is moment of inertia important for a cane?

Moment of inertia is important for a cane because it affects how easily the cane can be rotated or moved around a fixed point. A cane with a high moment of inertia will require more force to rotate, making it more stable and easier to use for walking.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated for a cane?

Moment of inertia for a cane can be calculated by using the equation I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the cane, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the cane's center of mass.

4. How does the shape of a cane affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a cane can greatly affect its moment of inertia. A cane with a larger diameter or a thicker shaft will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more stable and easier to use. On the other hand, a cane with a smaller diameter or a thinner shaft will have a lower moment of inertia, making it less stable and more difficult to use.

5. Can moment of inertia be changed for a cane?

Yes, moment of inertia for a cane can be changed by altering its mass distribution or changing the axis of rotation. For example, adding weights to the handle of a cane will increase its moment of inertia, making it more stable, while moving the handle closer to the center of mass will decrease its moment of inertia, making it less stable.