What is the Moment Applied to a Hook with Given Geometry and Load?

• Thread starter mjgarrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stress on a "J" shaped hook. The hook is held in place at the top and has a cross-sectional area of 10.0mm by 5.0mm and a thickness of 5.0mm. The bend radius is 8.0mm and the radius where the base of the "J" meets the top is 8.5mm. When a torque of 400,000 N-mm is applied to the bottom of the hook, the hook begins to bend and the bending moment is determined to be M1 = 400,000 N*mm.
mjgarrin
Hello everyone,

I am curious about calculating the stress that acts on a hook.

I apologize I could not make a small enough image to upload, but the hook is "J" shaped. The top of the "J" is held in place to prevent movement.

The geometry of the hook is similar to a bar, whose cross sectional area is 10.0mm by 5.0mm
The thickness of the hook is 5.0mm throughout the hook
The bend radius of the hook is 8.0mm
The radius where the base of the "J" meets the top is 8.5mm

The hook began to bend when a torque of 400,000 N-mm was applied to the very bottom of the "J".

Can someone please help me determine the moment that is applied to this hook?

Thank you,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
mjgarrin: Did you mean to say a force, or load, of 400 000 N is being applied to the very bottom of the hook? Or are you truly applying a torque? If you really are applying a torque, then the bending moment on the hook would be M1 = 400 000 N*mm.

Related to What is the Moment Applied to a Hook with Given Geometry and Load?

1. How do you calculate stress in a hook?

The stress in a hook can be calculated by dividing the force (in newtons) applied to the hook by the cross-sectional area (in square meters) of the hook. This will give the stress in units of pascals (Pa), which is the SI unit for stress.

2. What is the formula for stress calculation in a hook?

The formula for stress calculation in a hook is: Stress (Pa) = Force (N) / Cross-sectional area (m²)

3. What is the maximum stress a hook can withstand?

The maximum stress a hook can withstand depends on its material and design. Different materials have different tensile strengths, which is the maximum stress they can withstand before breaking. The design of the hook also plays a role in its maximum stress capacity, as certain shapes and sizes can distribute the stress more evenly.

4. How do I know if a hook is experiencing too much stress?

If the stress in a hook exceeds its maximum stress capacity, it may start to deform or break. Signs of excessive stress in a hook may include visible bending, cracking, or snapping. It is important to always calculate and monitor the stress in a hook to ensure it is within a safe range for its intended use.

5. Are there any safety guidelines for calculating stress in a hook?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when calculating stress in a hook. This includes using the correct units (newtons for force, square meters for cross-sectional area, and pascals for stress), using accurate measurements, and consulting with a professional engineer if necessary. It is also important to regularly inspect the hook for signs of wear and tear, and to replace it if it exceeds its maximum stress capacity.