What Is the Molecular Formula of the Hydrocarbon in This Combustion Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the molecular formula of a gaseous hydrocarbon based on the volumes of reactants and products in a reaction. The suggested equation is CxHy + ( x + y/4 ) O2 ----> x CO2 + Y/2 H2O and the next steps involve converting the volume of CO2 to moles to determine 'x' and finding the number of moles of water vapor to determine 'y'.
Ose90

Homework Statement

6.0 cm^3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon was sparked with 34.5 cm^3 of oxygen. The volume of the gaseous products after cooling to room temperature was 22.5 cm^3. The volume was reduced to 4.5 cm^3 on passing the gases through aqueous potassium hydroxide. What is the molecular formula of hydrocarbon?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

CxHy + ( x + y/4 ) O2 ----> x CO2 + Y/2 H2O

Is this equation correct?Do I miss out any product?

my doubts : First, I try calculating the volume of CO2 produced and It is 18cm^3 and the volume of H2O is apparently 4.5 cm^3. What should I do next?
How to find the volume of oxygen gas that has reacted? Should I convert them into moles by dividing the volume of room temperature? I'm confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Ose90 said:
First, I try calculating the volume of CO2 produced and It is 18 cm3 and the volume of H2O is apparently 4.5 cm3. What should I do next?
How to find the volume of oxygen gas that has reacted? Should I convert them into moles by dividing the volume of room temperature? I'm confused :(

You have found the volume of CO2. Convert it to moles to determine 'x'. What remains is water vapor. Find the number of moles of that and determine 'y'.

Based on the given information, the equation you have written appears to be correct. To find the molecular formula of the hydrocarbon, you will need to calculate the moles of each product (CO2 and H2O) using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) and then use the mole ratio to determine the number of moles of carbon and hydrogen in the hydrocarbon. From there, you can use the molar masses of carbon and hydrogen to determine the molecular formula.

To find the volume of oxygen gas that reacted, you will need to use the initial volume of oxygen (34.5 cm^3) and the volume of the products (22.5 cm^3). The difference between these two volumes will give you the volume of oxygen that reacted.

I hope this helps. If you are still unsure, I recommend consulting with your teacher or a classmate for further clarification. Good luck!

Related to What Is the Molecular Formula of the Hydrocarbon in This Combustion Analysis?

1. What is a molecular formula?

A molecular formula is a representation of the types and numbers of atoms present in a molecule. It shows the exact number of each type of atom in a compound.

2. How do you determine the molecular formula of a compound?

To determine the molecular formula, you need to know the mass of the compound and the molar mass of each element present. By dividing the mass of the compound by the molar mass of each element and simplifying the ratios, you can find the molecular formula.

3. What is the difference between empirical formula and molecular formula?

An empirical formula shows the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms in a compound, while a molecular formula shows the actual number of atoms present in a molecule. The molecular formula can be a multiple of the empirical formula.

4. Can the same compound have different molecular formulas?

No, the molecular formula of a compound is unique and specific to that compound. However, different compounds can have the same empirical formula.

5. How can I use spectroscopy to determine the molecular formula of a compound?

Spectroscopy involves analyzing the energy levels of a compound's molecular bonds. By comparing the spectroscopic data to known values for different elements, you can determine the types of atoms present in a compound and their ratios, which can then be used to find the molecular formula.