What is the mistake in calculating the magnetic field in this problem?

In summary, there was a mistake in the given equation, specifically in the power of r in the denominator. The angle between the vectors ##\vec v## and ##\vec r## is not needed since unit vectors are being used. The correct formula is B = μo/4##\pi \frac {q \vec v \times \vec r} {r^2}## and the final answer is B = 6.78μT ##\vec i##.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
A 6.00 uC point charge is moving at a constant 8 * 10^6 m/s in the +y-direction relative to a reference frame. At the instant when the point charge is at the origin of this reference frame, what is the magnetic-field vector it produces at the following points x = 0, y = -0.500 m, z = +0.500 m?
Relevant Equations
B = μo/4##\pi \frac {q \vec v \times \vec r} {r^2} ##
The problem is simple, but have one confusion, if i substitute the values given, I get

##
B = \frac {10^{-7}(6*10^{-6})[(8*10^6 \vec j) \times (-0.5\vec j + 0.5 \vec k)]} {r^2} ##
## B = 48\mu T\vec i##
First thing the answer does not match. I don't see the angle in calculations between ##\vec v , \vec r## which i assume is ##135 Deg##. What is the mistake? Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicslearner500039 said:
Relevant Equations:: B = μo/4##\pi \frac {q \vec v \times \vec r} {r^2} ##
There is a mistake in this equation. Check to see if you have the correct the power of ##r## in the denominator, or if the vector ##\vec r## in the numerator should be a unit vector.

I don't see the angle in calculations between ##\vec v , \vec r## which i assume is ##135 Deg##.

Since you are working with unit vector representation of the vectors, you don't need to know the angle between ##\vec v## and ##\vec r##.

Likes Physicslearner500039 and berkeman
Ok understood. Thank you, yes the formula i wrongly understood. The answer is
##B = \frac {10^{-7} * 6 * 8\vec j * (-\frac {1} {\sqrt2} \vec j + \frac {1} {\sqrt2} \vec k)} {0.05} ##
## B = 6.78\mu T \vec i##

Likes TSny
Looks good except for the placement of the decimal point in the denominator. I believe your final answer is correct.

Likes berkeman and Physicslearner500039

Related to What is the mistake in calculating the magnetic field in this problem?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is characterized by the direction and strength of the force it exerts on other magnetic objects.

How do you find the magnetic field?

The magnetic field can be found using a device called a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location. It can also be found by using mathematical equations and principles, such as the right-hand rule.

What affects the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the amount of electric current flowing, and the type of material it is passing through. The strength of the magnetic field also decreases as you move further away from the source.

Why is finding the magnetic field important?

Understanding and being able to measure the magnetic field is important in many fields of science and technology. It helps us understand the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on our planet, as well as how to use and control magnetic forces in everyday devices like motors and compasses.

How is the magnetic field used in everyday life?

The magnetic field is used in many everyday devices, such as speakers, hard drives, credit cards, and MRI machines. It is also used in power generation, transportation, and communication systems. The Earth's magnetic field is also used for navigation, as seen in compasses and GPS systems.