What is the Missing Piece in Solving for ρ in this Simple Problem?

• Thread starter MadMatSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary: I'm fairly sure MadMatSci was referring to the general equation quoted first off: ##E=−\frac A{r^6}+B∗e^{−rρ}##. The value of 1.5 for r had already been substituted in the 90% equation.
MadMatSci

Homework Statement

The total energy for a Van der Waals bonded solid is:

[itex]E=-\frac{A}{r^6}+B*e^{-\frac{r}{\rho}}[/itex]

where the 1st and 2nd terms are for attraction and repulsion respectively, A and B are constants, r is the inter-atomic distance, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the range of interaction (i.e. characteristic length)

Given [itex]E=.9*E_{attr.}[/itex] and Eqm Spacing, [itex]r_o[/itex]= 1.5 angstroms, find [itex]\rho[/itex] in angstroms

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first piece of information, [itex]E=.9*E_{attr.}[/itex], gives me:

[itex]E=-\frac{A}{r^6}+B*e^{-\frac{r}{\rho}}=.9*E_{attr.}=.9*(-\frac{A}{r^6})[/itex]

Rearranging yields:

[itex].1*\frac{A}{r^6}=B*e^{\frac{-r}{\rho}}[/itex]

The second piece of information leads me to assume that at r=1.5 the derivative of the expression for total energy=0. This gives me the following equation:

[itex]6\frac{A}{1.5^7}=\frac{B}{\rho}e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex]

From here I am confused. I first tried to solve [itex].1*\frac{A}{r^6}=B*e^{\frac{-r}{\rho}}[/itex] for A and then substitute that into [itex]6\frac{A}{1.5^7}=\frac{B}{\rho}e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex].
Seeing no way out, I set the r's in the equation for A to 1.5. This led to:

[itex]\frac{60}{1.5}B*e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}=\frac{B}{\rho}*e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex] which leads to:

[itex]\rho=\frac{1.5}{60}=.025[/itex]

It does not seem valid to just sub in r=1.5. This was a shot in the dark as I am out of ideas.

I spoke to my instructor about this and how I did not see a way to solve for [itex]\rho[/itex] because it looks as though there are 2 equations and 3 unknowns. His response was that this is a simple problem and that I do not need to know the constants A and B. I must be over thinking this. Does anyone see what I am missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MadMatSci said:
I realize that is not correct.
I didn't check the numbers, but the approach is right.
The condition E=0.9 EAttr is satisfied at r0 only.

You have three unknowns for two equations, but it is neither possible nor necessary to find A and B separately. You can find the ratio A/B, as both equations depend on this and ρ only.

mfb said:
I didn't check the numbers, but the approach is right.
The condition E=0.9 EAttr is satisfied at r0 only.

You have three unknowns for two equations, but it is neither possible nor necessary to find A and B separately. You can find the ratio A/B, as both equations depend on this and ρ only.

Wow. Thank you. I did not realize that E=.9 EAttr is valid at r0 only. I guess it does make sense though since at equilibrium it is possible to determine what fraction of the total energy is attractive and repulsive. Thanks again!

Why do you say that answer is clearly not correct? The method is sound, and I can see no numerical errors.

haruspex said:
Why do you say that answer is clearly not correct? The method is sound, and I can see no numerical errors.

I did not think that I could just assume r=1.5. I thought it had to be valid for all r until mfb indicated otherwise.

MadMatSci said:
I did not think that I could just assume r=1.5. I thought it had to be valid for all r until mfb indicated otherwise.
The equation in question is valid for all r. In particular, it is valid at r=1.5 A.

haruspex said:
The equation in question is valid for all r. In particular, it is valid at r=1.5 A.

Thank you very much for your help!

haruspex said:
The equation that says the total energy is 90% of the attractive potential energy? No, that is not correct everywhere.

mfb said:
The equation that says the total energy is 90% of the attractive potential energy? No, that is not correct everywhere.
I'm fairly sure MadMatSci was referring to the general equation quoted first off: ##E=−\frac A{r^6}+B∗e^{−rρ}##. The value of 1.5 for r had already been substituted in the 90% equation.

Related to What is the Missing Piece in Solving for ρ in this Simple Problem?

1. What is the concept of "2 equations, 3 unknowns"?

The concept of "2 equations, 3 unknowns" refers to a system of two equations that contain three variables or unknowns. This means that there are three variables that need to be solved in order to find a unique solution for the system.

2. Why is it important to have the same number of equations and unknowns?

Having the same number of equations and unknowns is important because it allows for a unique solution to the system. If there are more equations than unknowns, the system may be overdetermined and have no solution. If there are fewer equations than unknowns, the system may have an infinite number of solutions.

3. How do you solve a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns?

To solve a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variables.

4. Can a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns have no solution?

Yes, a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns can have no solution if the equations are contradictory. This means that the two equations represent two parallel lines that never intersect, resulting in no common solution for the three unknowns.

5. Can a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns have an infinite number of solutions?

No, a system of 2 equations and 3 unknowns cannot have an infinite number of solutions. This is because there are only three unknowns, so there can only be one unique solution to the system. If there are more unknowns than equations, then the system may have an infinite number of solutions.