What is the Minimum Speed in Relativity?

In summary, the uncertainty principle does not prevent something from being at rest in some reference frame, even when we are talking about small...microscopic objects.
BkBkBk
i was thinking,C is the maximum speed something can travel through space,in there a minimum,and is this absoloute zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like Planck's length divided by Planck's time ? As going slower than that would mean standing still.
But it doesn't have to be true. And is kinda purely theoretical.
It requires quantization of space and such. In relativity... its all relative, so no..

Edi said:
Something like Planck's length divided by Planck's time ? As going slower than that would mean standing still.

As pointed out recently in another thread; plank length divided by Planck time is the speed of light.

The Planck length divided by the Planck time is c.There is no minimum speed in relativity. You can always construct a Lorentz boost to take a object's speed to whatever you want.

from what i can understand,does that mean that,even if an object seems not to be movingfrom your inertial frame,you could always move to a frame of reference where it is moving (have i misunderstood the lorentz boost?)

Yes, you can always construct a frame where an object is standing still, moving and/or accelerating.

Can you please direct me to the thread?
minimum distance divided by minimum time is max speed... (??)

Edi said:
Can you please direct me to the thread?
minimum distance divided by minimum time is max speed... (??)

Just look up the definitions. The wikipedia article on Planck units is adequate for this. The definitions and values are:
[tex]\begin{array}{lll}
\text{P. time} & \sqrt{\frac{\hbar G}{c^5}} & 5.39 \times 10^{-44} \; s \\
\text{P. dist} & \sqrt{\frac{\hbar G}{c^3}} & 1.616 \times 10^{-35} \; m
\end{array}[/tex]​

It was discussed also in the thread [thread=368108]Traveling at c-(1 Planck length/planck time), then accelerate. What happens?[/thread].

Cheers -- sylas

Yes, there is a minimum speed and it is zero.

we can define it as 0 relative to us,but its not specifically "at rest" is it,and what i was wondering is,even though it it isn't moving relative to us,there is uncertainty in its position,so is there a minimum we can define it to be,(or am i wrong in saying that there is uncertainty,is that only a microscopic phenomenon,or does it apply to macroscopic objects aswell?)

BkBkBk said:
we can define it as 0 relative to us,but its not specifically "at rest" is it,
Why not? In our reference frame it is certainly and specifically at rest.
BkBkBk said:
and what i was wondering is,even though it it isn't moving relative to us,there is uncertainty in its position,so is there a minimum we can define it to be,(or am i wrong in saying that there is uncertainty,is that only a microscopic phenomenon,or does it apply to macroscopic objects aswell?)
That has nothing to do with relativity, that is quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that [itex]\Delta x \, \Delta p = \hbar/2[/itex]. So for a macroscopic object like a 70kg human body, if we were to measure it to be "at rest" to within 1 picometer/millenium then the most accurately we could know the position is:
[tex]\Delta x = \frac{\hbar}{2 \Delta p} = 0.02 \, picometer[/tex]
Which should be close enough for any purpose.

Last edited:
now that's the sort of answer i was looking for,thank you Dalespam :)

one thing,though, you've said "That has nothing to do with relativity" but then gone on to give me an example of a macroscopic object, I am a little confused as to whether we can actually apply the uncertainty principle to macroscopic objects?or is that still a question of where the barrier lies between the micro and macroscopic world?

In quantum mechanics, if you prepare 100 "particles" (a bit hard to define what a particle is), each in an identical way, and you measure the momentum of each of 50 particles and you always get the same answer (say 0), then if you measure the position of each of the next 50 particles, you will get all sorts of different answers. However, the different positions are of different particles, so it doesn't mean that each particle did not have 0 momentum.

BkBkBk said:
one thing,though, you've said "That has nothing to do with relativity" but then gone on to give me an example of a macroscopic object, I am a little confused as to whether we can actually apply the uncertainty principle to macroscopic objects?or is that still a question of where the barrier lies between the micro and macroscopic world?
Yes, the uncertainty principle always applies, there is no barrier between the micro and macroscopic world. The point was that even though it always applies, it is not always important.

In any case, more relevant to the OP, atyy just explained that the uncertainty principle does not prevent something from being at rest in some reference frame, even when we are talking about small particles.

Related to What is the Minimum Speed in Relativity?

What is minimum speed in relativity?

Minimum speed in relativity refers to the concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity that states that the speed of light (c) is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. This means that no object can travel faster than the speed of light.

Why is the speed of light considered the minimum speed?

The speed of light is considered the minimum speed in relativity because it is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same.

What is the significance of minimum speed in relativity?

The concept of minimum speed in relativity has far-reaching implications in our understanding of the universe. It forms the basis for many other principles, such as time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²). It also explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. Thus, the speed of light remains the universal speed limit.

How does minimum speed in relativity affect space travel?

The concept of minimum speed in relativity has a significant impact on space travel. It means that even with advanced technology, we cannot travel faster than the speed of light. This imposes limitations on our ability to explore the universe, as the distance between celestial objects is vast. Scientists continue to study and theorize about potential ways to circumvent this limitation, such as using wormholes or warp drives.