What is the minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible?

In summary, the minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible to the naked eye depends on its position relative to the Sun. The closer it is to being behind the Sun, the sooner it will be visible. Additional information can be found on Sky and Telescope's website.
kaleidoscope
What is the minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible TO THE NAKED EYE?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? If so, please post it in the homework-help section and show the work that you have done so far.

turbo said:
Is this a homework question? If so, please post it in the homework-help section and show the work that you have done so far.

NOT at all!

BTW, I think ten degrees would be to close to see, but I'm looking for a more informed opinion.

kaleidoscope, On Sky and Telescope's website you can search for more detailed facts about viewing Venus near the sun. Here is a report from where you may begin:

“To the left it is Venus as photographed last evening just after sundown. It had an altitude of only 6°at sunset (lat. 38° Ν) and was visible to the naked eye. This morning i tried to locate it again (altitude 5°at sunrise from my site). Managed to photograph it (right photo), but this time it wasn't visible to the naked eye due to haze.”

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/gallery/celestial/41967767.html

I would think that the answer would depend upon whether Venus is nearly behind or in front of the sun, and that it would be visible sooner if behind since it would be more fully illuminated.

Last edited:

Related to What is the minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible?

What is the minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible?

The minimum angular distance from the Sun for Venus to be visible varies depending on factors such as time of year and location on Earth. However, on average, Venus can be seen when it is approximately 45 degrees away from the Sun.

What causes the minimum angular distance for Venus to be visible?

The minimum angular distance for Venus to be visible is caused by the planet's orbit around the Sun. When Venus is at its maximum elongation (or farthest distance) from the Sun, it is most visible in the sky.

How often does Venus reach its minimum angular distance?

Venus reaches its minimum angular distance from the Sun approximately every 584 days, which is the length of its synodic period (time it takes to complete one orbit around the Sun).

Can Venus be seen during the day when it is at its minimum angular distance?

Yes, Venus can be seen during the day when it is at its minimum angular distance from the Sun. However, it may be more difficult to spot due to the brightness of the Sun.

What equipment is needed to view Venus at its minimum angular distance?

No special equipment is needed to view Venus at its minimum angular distance. It can be seen with the naked eye, but using a telescope or binoculars can provide a clearer and more detailed view.