What is the Minimum Angle for a Ladder to Not Slip Against a Wall?

• Thread starter shards5
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform ladder leaning against a frictionless wall and the minimum angle at which the ladder will not slip. The concept of using sum of forces and sum of torques is mentioned, but the person is struggling to find the correct answer and asks for help in identifying their mistake. The correct equation is 2uk = cot(theta), and the person is reminded to check their calculator is in degree mode.
shards5

Homework Statement

So the original problem goes as the following.

A uniform ladder of mass (m) and length (L) leans against a frictionless wall, see figure. If the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.41, what is the minimum angle (q) between the ladder and the floor at which the ladder will not slip?

And I get the whole concept behind how to do it which is basically using sum of the forces and sum of the torques but my math seems to be wrong and different from the solutions I found online (my answer was 0.014 degrees which is obviously wrong). So can you tell me where I messed up in my math?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of the forces = 0
Nw = Normal force done on the ladder by the wall
Nf = Normal force done on the ladder by the floor
cg = Center of gravity (bad habit of mine that I use to distinguish between my other mg)

x: Nw - Fs = ma (a = 0 thus ma = 0)
y: Nf - cg = 0

Thus:
Nf = cg
Fs = Nw

Sum of the Torques = 0
Set the axis of rotation at the base of the ladder
Nw sin(theta) - (g sin(theta))/2 = 0
Substituting Nw for Friction static and then substituting Friction static with coefficient of static friction times cg I get the following:
uk cg sin (theta) - (cg cos(theta))/2 = 0
Canceling out the cg I get the following:
uk sin (theta) - (cos(theta))/2 = 0
Now this is where I screw up so can someone explain how I screwed up.
Moved cos to the other side
uk sin(theta) = (cos(theta))/2
Multiplied 2 to get rid of the 1/2 on the right side
2uk sin(theta) = cos(theta)
Divided by sin (theta)
2 uk = cos(theta)/sin(theta)
Which becomes
2 uk = arctan(theta)
Thus
theta = tan(2uk)

Thanks for your help and sorry for asking for putting out so much detail for something so simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
shards5 said:
2 uk = cos(theta)/sin(theta)
This is good. (Really, μs, since it's static friction.)
Which becomes
2 uk = arctan(theta)
Careful: cos/sin = cot, not tan.
Thus
theta = tan(2uk)
(1) Fix the mistake I pointed out regarding cot vs. tan.
(2) Make sure your calculator is set to degree mode and not radians. :wink:

Related to What is the Minimum Angle for a Ladder to Not Slip Against a Wall?

1. What are the common mistakes in Math?

Common mistakes in Math can include computational errors, misunderstanding of concepts, and not showing all the steps in a problem. It's important to carefully check your work and make sure you understand the concepts being used.

2. Why do I struggle with Math?

There can be many reasons for struggling with Math, such as not having a strong foundation in basic concepts, not paying attention to detail, or not getting enough practice. It's important to identify the specific areas where you struggle and work on improving them.

3. How can I improve my Math skills?

Improving Math skills takes practice and patience. Make sure you have a strong understanding of basic concepts before moving on to more complex problems. Practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. Why do I keep making the same mistakes in Math?

Making the same mistakes in Math can be frustrating, but it's important to understand why you are making them. Are you rushing through problems? Not checking your work? Not fully understanding the concept? Identifying the cause can help you avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

5. Can I be good at Math if I don't have a "math brain"?

Yes, anyone can improve their Math skills with practice and dedication. Having a "math brain" is not a requirement for being good at Math. Don't let negative beliefs about your abilities hold you back, and instead focus on putting in the effort to improve.