Need help with taveling wave sketching

• Thread starter stawbeegirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is about a forum user seeking help with graphing an electric field wave at different points in time. They provide the formula for the wave and discuss the values of w and k, as well as how to graph the wave using different values for t/T.
stawbeegirl
hi everyone,
i am stuck working on this problem and thought i'd post it to the forum

if an electric field wave is given by E = 50cos(10^8*t + k*z)

what does the wave look like at t=0, T/4, T/2 and T (T is period)

i know that w = 10^8 here and that k = w/2Pi

i'm killing myself trying to graph this wave at those points in time. please help! :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, k = w/c, c = 3 X 10^8.
And w/2Pi =1/T or T = 2Pi/w .

k is a wave-vector or an inverse wavelegth. w is a frequency or inverse time. Their dimensions are completely different.

yes you're right. that's what i have written. k = 1/3 (w/c)

to graph do i just plug in 2Pi/w (or multiple of) for t and 1/3 for k?

You have

E = 50 cos (wt - kz), where w = 2Pi/T, k = w/c = 1/3

So E = 50 cos (2Pi*(t/T) - z/3)

You are given different values for t/T, ie. 0, 1/4, 1/2, 1. If you plug these in you get E vs. z

1. How do I sketch a traveling wave?

To sketch a traveling wave, you first need to determine the wave's amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. Then, plot the wave's shape using a sine or cosine function and label the x and y axes accordingly. Finally, draw the wave moving in the direction of propagation at the given speed.

2. What is the importance of sketching traveling waves?

Sketching traveling waves helps visualize and understand the behavior of a wave, including its amplitude, wavelength, speed, and direction of propagation. It also allows for better analysis and prediction of how the wave will interact with its surroundings.

3. What is the difference between a transverse and a longitudinal traveling wave?

A transverse wave moves perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while a longitudinal wave moves parallel to the direction of propagation. This means that the particles in a transverse wave move up and down, while particles in a longitudinal wave move back and forth.

4. How do you determine the speed of a traveling wave?

The speed of a traveling wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency. This is also known as the wave's velocity. The speed of a wave is also affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

5. What are some real-life applications of traveling waves?

Traveling waves have many practical applications, such as in telecommunications, where they are used to transmit signals through various media. They are also used in musical instruments, earthquake detection, and medical imaging technologies such as ultrasound.