What is the Method for Calculating Instant and Average Velocity from a Graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between instant and average velocity, with the former requiring finding the tangent of a point on a graph and the latter being calculated using displacement over time. The conversation also touches on the use of velocity-time graphs to show displacement, noting that the area under the curve can represent displacement but not total distance. The conversation ends with a reminder about the connection between velocity and displacement through the use of integrals.
cocoavi
if I was given a graph, and told to work out the instant and average velocity, do I just find the slope of a tangent for both instant and average velocity? thx~

Physics news on Phys.org
Instant velocity requires finding the tangent while average velocity is [itex]v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex].

Just expanding on what cscott said,

**Average velocity = [tex] {\Delta x / \Delta t} [/tex], --->i.e., displacement (change in position) over the change in time. Remember that [tex] \Delta x[/tex] here refers to displacement, not the distance traveled.

**Instantaneous velocity is the instantaneous rate of change of position. We can calculate instaneous velocity via the first derivative of position with respect to time. As you can see,
Instantaneous velocity = [tex] {dx/dt} [/tex].

um... so say if were to find the instant velocity I would basically just draw a line in the grid through the one point of the graph, then find the slope of that line, and that'll give me the instant velocity of that point. And if I were to find the average velocity between two points (displacement) I would find the slope of the line that goes from one point to the other right?

And also, could a velocity-time graph show the displacement? There is a question about how a car goes 70km and 20km in the reverse direction. I know that the displacement from the starting point would be 50 but could that be shown on a velocity-time graph?

Yes. The area under the curve of where you started to where you ended would give you displacement, but not total distance. If you're taking Calculus, you can recognize the fact that

[tex]\int_{t1}^{t2} \vec{v}dt=S[/tex].

okay~ thank you! ^_^

Related to What is the Method for Calculating Instant and Average Velocity from a Graph?

1. What is the difference between instant and average velocity?

Instant velocity refers to the velocity at a specific moment in time, while average velocity refers to the overall velocity over a certain period of time.

2. How is instant velocity calculated?

Instant velocity is calculated by finding the derivative of an object's position with respect to time. It is the slope of the position-time graph at a specific point.

3. Can instant velocity ever be negative?

Yes, instant velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the position-time graph.

4. What does a negative average velocity indicate?

A negative average velocity indicates that the object has moved in the negative direction over the specified time period, or that it has moved backwards.

5. How does acceleration affect instant and average velocity?

Acceleration affects instant velocity by changing the speed and/or direction of an object at a specific point in time. Average velocity takes into account the changes in velocity over a certain period of time, so acceleration can also affect average velocity.