What is the meaning of invariance for an equation f=0?

• I
  • Thread starter FrederikPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invariance
In summary, invariance of a function f under a transformation T means that T(f) = f. This can also be interpreted as f ∘ T = f, where T is a transformation of coordinates that leaves the relationship intact. In the case of an equation f = 0, invariance means that the transformed equation T(f) = T(0) is equivalent to the original equation. However, this does not necessarily mean that T(f) = T(0) implies f = 0. In the context of gauge transformations, invariance means that the transformed equation under a gauge transformation U, UDμFμνU† = 0, is equivalent to the original equation DμFμν =
FrederikPhysics
Hey. When talking about invariance of a function f under some transformation T we mean that T(f)=f. But what is meant by invariance of an equation f=0? As far as I can see it makes sense to call an equation invariant when the transformed equation T(f)=T(0) is equivalent to the original equation f=0, or maybe just if T(f)=T(0) implies f=0.

To be specific, I am asking because the source free Yang-Mills equation DμFμν=0 is said to be invariant under gauge transformations and i am wondering what exactly is meant by this. When preforming the gauge transformation U we obtain UDμFμνU=0 which is equivalent to the original equation but not the same as the original equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
FrederikPhysics said:
Hey. When talking about invariance of a function f under some transformation T we mean that T(f)=f. But what is meant by invariance of an equation f=0?
Not necessarily. It can also mean ##f \circ T = f##, that is a transformation of coordinates leaves the relationship intact. One should always consider the context and how it is meant. ##T \circ f = f## should better be noted as ##f## is an eigenvector of the transformation operator ##T##.
As far as I can see it makes sense to call an equation invariant when the transformed equation T(f)=T(0) is equivalent to the original equation f=0, or maybe just if T(f)=T(0) implies f=0.
This would only mean, that ##T## is injective. It's not called invariant.
To be specific, I am asking because the source free Yang-Mills equation DμFμν=0 is said to be invariant under gauge transformations and i am wondering what exactly is meant by this. When preforming the gauge transformation U we obtain UDμFμνU=0 which is equivalent to the original equation but not the same as the original equation.
Have you heard of Noether's theorem?

Likes jedishrfu
Have you heard of Noether's theorem?

and the punch line: Noether heard of it.

Likes fresh_42
jedishrfu said:
and the punch line: Noether heard of it.
Noether heard of it, but it took Little (aka F. Klein) to be published! :cool:

Likes jedishrfu
The Lagrange function generating these Yang-Mills equations are gauge invariant L=L', but as mentioned the Yang-Mills equations themselves transform according to the adjoint representation (DμFμν)'=UDμFμνU which does not seem invariant to me, still people say that the are invariant under gauge transformations. My question is, in what sense are they invariant?

Yes I have heard about Nöethers theorem I do not see how it relates. For every continuous symmetry of the action there exists a continuity equation.

Last edited:
FrederikPhysics said:
The Lagrange function generating these Yang-Mills equations are gauge invariant L=L', but as mentioned the Yang-Mills equations themselves transform according to the adjoint representation (DμFμν)'=UDμFμνU which does not seem invariant to me, still people say that the are invariant under gauge transformations. My question is, in what sense are they invariant?

Yes I have heard about Nöethers theorem I do not see how it relates. For every continuous symmetry of the action there exists a continuity equation.
Noether (without "ö") defined as an invariant of a Lie group for her theorem the existence of a relation
$$P(x,u,\frac{\partial u}{\partial x},\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2},\ldots) = P(y,v,\frac{\partial v}{\partial y},\frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial y^2},\ldots)$$
which shows, that it is a statement about the variables, coordinates.

Thank you for your answer. If i understand your post the statement of invariance is a statement of the form of an equation independent of variables. But then is not every equation involving only the gauge field Aμ and coordinates invariant under gauge transformations since the gauge transformation of the equation makes Aμ→Aμ', and so the transformed equation has the same form as the original with Aμ' in place of Aμ as variable?
Please go into details.

Last edited:

Related to What is the meaning of invariance for an equation f=0?

1. What is the concept of invariance in an equation?

The concept of invariance in an equation refers to the property of an equation remaining unchanged when certain transformations are applied to its variables or constants. In other words, the solution or outcome of the equation remains the same even when the values of the variables or constants are altered.

2. What are the different types of invariance in an equation?

There are three main types of invariance in an equation: scale invariance, translation invariance, and rotation invariance. Scale invariance refers to the equation remaining unchanged when all the variables are multiplied by a constant. Translation invariance refers to the equation remaining unchanged when a constant is added to all the variables. Rotation invariance refers to the equation remaining unchanged when the variables are rotated around a fixed point.

3. Why is invariance important in science and mathematics?

Invariance plays a crucial role in science and mathematics as it allows us to simplify complex equations and make them more general. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different equations and phenomena, making it easier to understand and predict natural phenomena.

4. Can an equation be invariant under multiple transformations?

Yes, an equation can be invariant under multiple transformations. This means that the equation remains unchanged even when multiple transformations are applied to its variables or constants. For example, an equation can be both scale and translation invariant, or it can be scale, translation, and rotation invariant.

5. How is invariance used in practical applications?

Invariance has various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, invariance is used in physics to describe the laws of motion and conservation of energy. In engineering, invariance is used to design systems that can withstand changes in variables or parameters. In computer science, invariance is used in image recognition, pattern recognition, and data compression.