What is the Meaning of "f:N^n -->N"?

• Thread starter shounakbhatta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the notation "f:N^n -->N" and clarifies that it refers to a function with a domain of n-dimensional natural numbers and a range of 1-dimensional natural numbers. The concept of an n-dimensional set is also explained. The conversation then touches on the Church-Turing thesis and the definition of a function in mathematics. Finally, the terms "primitive recursive function" and "general recursive function" are mentioned and their meanings are requested.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

Can anybody tell me the meaning of

f:N^n -->N

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It probably means a function whose domain is the n-dimensional set of natural numbers, and whose range is the (the 1-dimensional) set of natural numbers.

arildno said:
It probably means a function whose domain is the n-dimensional set of natural numbers, and whose range is the (the 1-dimensional) set of natural numbers.

What's an n-dimensional set? I think you mean the set of all n-tuples of natural numbers and the set of natural numbers itself, respectively.

Yes, that is what "n-dimensional" means here- the set of ordered n-tuples of natural numbers.

Actually I was reading over Turing Machine, it was mentioned over there:

For every function f: N^n -->N on the natural numbers, f is computable by an algorithm, f is computable by a Turing Machine.

What does it mean?

shounakbhatta said:
For every function f: N^n -->N on the natural numbers, f is computable by an algorithm, f is computable by a Turing Machine.

What does it mean?

It might be an attempt to state a version of the Church-Turing thesis. If so it is missing a piece. I would rewrite it as:

"For every function f from N^n -> N, if f is computable by an algorithm then f is computable by a Turing machine"

Clearly not every function from N^n to N is computable by a Turing machine; there are more such functions than there are Turing machines.

Ok, understood.

Well, I have one question. In the Church Turing thesis, what is meant by a function?

Whatever we mean like y=f(x), in mathematics, is this a function?

shounakbhatta said:
Ok, understood.

Well, I have one question. In the Church Turing thesis, what is meant by a function?

Whatever we mean like y=f(x), in mathematics, is this a function?

A function is what you wrote in your first post; it's mapping between sets (with some restrictions). "y=f(x)" is not a function, it's an equality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, you mean to say bijection, injection and surjection?

But when we say: y=f(x), in abbreviated form it becomes: f:X-->Y

Then we make it in a set X (a,b,c) and another set Y (e,f,g) and try to show through mapping which elements map which one. Isn't it? But they are the same? Correct me if I am wrong.

-- Shounak

I an new to this subject. I was going over Church Turing thesis.

There are certain concepts which I am unable to understand. If somebody can help me understand:

The thesis states:'every effective calculable function is a computable function'.

Now, here what does a function means? Is it the same as we know in mathematics as y=f(x)?

The three ways of computability, the lambda calculus, Turing machine and recursive function define the same class of function. What is meant by that?

Can anybody please help me?

What is

(a) primitive recursive function?
(b) general recursive function

Thanks

-- Shounak

Michael Redei said:
What's an n-dimensional set? I think you mean the set of all n-tuples of natural numbers and the set of natural numbers itself, respectively.
You are right. It was a vague, unconsidered statement of mine in need of your precision. Thanks, Michael. :smile:

Related to What is the Meaning of "f:N^n -->N"?

What is the meaning of "f:N^n -->N"?

The notation "f:N^n -->N" represents a function that maps a set of n-dimensional vectors, with elements from the natural numbers (N), to a single natural number (N). In other words, the function takes in a set of numbers and outputs a single number.

What does the "f" stand for in "f:N^n -->N"?

In this notation, "f" stands for the name of the function. It is a common practice to use the letter "f" to represent a function, but it can be any other letter or symbol as well.

What does "N^n" mean in "f:N^n -->N"?

The notation "N^n" represents a set of n-dimensional vectors, where each element in the vector is a natural number (N). So, "N^n" is essentially the input space for the function f.

What is the significance of the arrow in "f:N^n -->N"?

The arrow in this notation represents the relationship between the input space and the output space of the function. In "f:N^n -->N", the arrow indicates that the function takes in a set of n-dimensional vectors and outputs a single natural number.

Can you give an example of a function represented by "f:N^n -->N"?

One example of a function represented by "f:N^n -->N" is the dot product function. This function takes in two vectors in R^n (where R is the set of real numbers) and outputs a single real number. In this case, the notation would be "f:R^n x R^n -->R".