What is the meaning of det V and det V* in Generalised Complex geometry?

In summary, a determinant of a vector space is a mathematical tool that calculates the properties of a vector space, such as its size, shape, and orientation. It is typically calculated using the cross product or dot product of the vectors in the space, as well as the matrix representation of the vectors. The determinant provides information about linear independence and the volume of the parallelepiped spanned by the vectors. It is important in various areas of mathematics and is closely related to concepts such as eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and determinants of matrices. It also has connections to topics such as linear independence, rank, and invertibility of matrices.
reginald
Hi, I'm a reading a thesis on Generalised Complex geometry and it mentions an object " det V" and "det V*", for a real vector space V, and its dual V*. Could anyone tell me what this notation means? I've been unable to find anything mentioning a determinant of an entire vector space, so I'm fairly confused! The thesis I'm reading is http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0401221v1, and the det V first appears on page 11.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If V is n-dimensional, it probably means the repeated wedge product [itex]\wedge^n V[/itex].

Related to What is the meaning of det V and det V* in Generalised Complex geometry?

1. What is a determinant of a vector space?

A determinant of a vector space is a mathematical tool used to determine the properties of a vector space, such as its size, shape, and orientation.

2. How is the determinant of a vector space calculated?

The determinant of a vector space is typically calculated using the cross product or dot product of the vectors in the space. It can also be calculated using the matrix representation of the vectors.

3. What does the determinant of a vector space tell us?

The determinant of a vector space provides information about the linear independence of the vectors in the space, as well as the volume of the parallelepiped spanned by the vectors.

4. Why is the determinant of a vector space important?

The determinant of a vector space is important because it is a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, geometry, and physics. It also helps us understand the properties of vector spaces and their transformations.

5. How does the determinant of a vector space relate to other mathematical concepts?

The determinant of a vector space is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and determinants of matrices. It also has connections to topics such as linear independence, rank, and invertibility of matrices.