What is the meaning of constant on each others fibres in differential geometry?

In summary, Lee's Proposition states that there exists a unique diffeomorphism F: N_1 \to N_2 such that F \circ \pi_1 = \pi_2. This result is an exercise, and is proved using the assumption that the surjective submersions \pi_1, \pi_2 are constant on each others fibers. If this assumption is made, then the result follows.
Kreizhn
This should hopefully be a quick and easy answer.

I'm running through Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds to brush up my differential geometry. I love this book, but I've come to something I'm not sure about. He states a result for which the proof is an exercise:

Proposition: Suppose [itex] \pi_1: M\to N_1, \pi_2: M \to N_2 [/itex] are surjective submersions that are constant on each others fibres. Then there exists a unique diffeomorphism [itex] F: N_1 \to N_2 [/itex] such that [itex] F \circ \pi_1 = \pi_2 [/itex].

I'm not quite clear on what he means by "constant on each others fibres." It is okay to assume that [itex] M, N_1, N_2 [/itex] are smooth manifolds, but there is no mention of them being fibre bundles. Does he just mean the preimage of points in [itex] N_1, N_2[/itex]? That is, the fibre of [itex]q \in N_1 [/itex] in M would be [itex] M_q = \pi_1^{-1}(q) [/itex]? This seems reasonable since we assumed that [itex] \pi_1,\pi_2 [/itex] are surjective and hence this is well defined, but I've never heard "fibres" used in this manner before.

If this is the case, what does it mean to be constant on each others fibres? Does this mean that if [itex] q_1 \in N_1[/itex] then [itex] \pi_2(\pi_1^{-1}(q_1)) = c(q_1) [/itex], where [itex] c(q) [/itex] is some constant function that varies only with q?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've said looks like how I would interpret those words. (but disclaimer: I am not an expert in this field!)

Thanks for the support Hurkyl. I can't think of another way of possibly interpreting it, and it is unlike Lee to be ambiguous in such a statement. I guess I should try proving the result with these assumptions and see if it works.

That means [tex]\pi_2[/tex] is constant on the fibers of [tex]\pi_1[/tex] and [tex]\pi_1[/tex] is constant on the fibers of [tex]\pi_2[/tex].

Kreizhn said:
Does this mean that if [itex] q_1 \in N_1[/itex] then [itex] \pi_2(\pi_1^{-1}(q_1)) = c(q_1) [/itex], where [itex] c(q) [/itex] is some constant function that varies only with q?

Yes, and also that [itex] q_2 \in N_2[/itex] then [itex] \pi_1(\pi_2^{-1}(q_2)) = c'(q_2) [/itex], where [itex] c'(q) [/itex] is some constant function that varies only with q (as arkajad just said).

Given a function f:A-->B and b in B, the fiber of f over b is by definition f^-1({b}).

For instance, the (rough) idea of a fiber bundle over a space B is that of a space E such that E is the union of all the fibers of some map p:E-->B.

So, yes, the meaning of the word "fiber" here is the same as when used in the term "fiber bundles".

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Quasar, is that really just the definition of a fibre? The preimage of a point in any map? I just want to make sure - without ever having seen one formally defined, I just inferred from the definition of a fibre bundle that each fibre would need to have the same dimension, and there would need to be a local trivialization.

Now maybe it's possible that surjective submersions are indeed bundle projection maps? I've been thinking about this. Surjective submersions are open maps, and hence are quotient maps. We can then view [itex] N_1 [/itex] as a quotient space with [itex] \pi_1 [/itex] identifying elements of the same equivalence class. I think we can get the local trivialization using charts from [itex] M [/itex], so it comes down to this:

We know that equivalence classes by [itex] \pi_1 [/itex] will partition [itex] M [/itex]. Must it necessarily form equal partitions, each of the same dimension?

See "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foliation" " and in particular the note on Submersions there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. Does the map have to be a submersion for pre-images to be fibers though? Unfortunately, the wiki article again uses fibres without defining them, and I really want to make sure that I know the rigorous definition.

Also, what if the map is a submersion but not surjective? Then do we only define fibres on elements in the image of the map?

On an interesting note, I just found the wiki-article on fibres. The reason I couldn't find it before is that I search for "Fibres (mathematics)" and wiki couldn't figure out my CanE spelling of Fibre and connect that to "Fibers (mathematics)". It took until the 28th entry on the search page to get there.

Anyway, the wiki page suggests that it holds for any map. Sorry to waste your time on this.

Related to What is the meaning of constant on each others fibres in differential geometry?

1. What are fibres of smooth manifolds?

Fibres of smooth manifolds are a mathematical concept that refers to the collection of points that map to a single point in the base space of a smooth manifold. They are often used to study the local behavior of a manifold.

2. How are fibres of smooth manifolds related to vector fields?

Fibres of smooth manifolds are closely related to vector fields, as they can be thought of as the set of all tangent vectors at a given point in the base space of a smooth manifold. These tangent vectors represent the directions in which the manifold can be "pulled" or "stretched" locally.

3. What is the significance of studying fibres of smooth manifolds?

Studying fibres of smooth manifolds allows us to understand the local behavior of a manifold, which is important in various fields such as differential geometry, physics, and computer graphics. They also help us to define and study important mathematical structures such as vector bundles and tangent bundles.

4. How are fibres of smooth manifolds visualized?

Fibres of smooth manifolds can be visualized as a collection of curves or lines that intersect at a single point in the base space of the manifold. In some cases, they can also be visualized as a set of tangent vectors at a given point.

5. Can fibres of smooth manifolds have different dimensions?

Yes, fibres of smooth manifolds can have different dimensions. For example, in the case of a circle, the fibre at each point is a one-dimensional curve, while in the case of a sphere, the fibre at each point is a two-dimensional surface. In general, the dimension of the fibre at a given point is equal to the difference between the dimension of the manifold and the dimension of its base space.