What is the Maximum Torque on a Flat Coil in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum torque on a narrow flat coil with 160 turns and sides measuring 34.0 cm, carrying a current of 5.30 A and positioned in a 0.260- T magnetic field. The formula used is torque = NIABsin theta, where theta is the angle between the magnetic field and a line perpendicular to the current loop. It is determined that for maximum torque magnitude, the angle should be 90 or 270 degrees.
purduegirl

Homework Statement

A narrow flat coil wound on a square frame has 160 turns and sides of 34.0 cm. It carries a current of 5.30 A and is positioned in a 0.260- T magnetic field. What is the maximum torque that can be exerted by the field on the coil?

Homework Equations

Torque = (Number of turns)(Area)(Magnetic Field)(sin of the angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the torque using the above information and assuming that the angle was 90 because it was a square. I think my reasoning with the 90 degrees angle is incorrect. For my answer I got, 480.9 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi purduegirl,

purduegirl said:

Homework Statement

A narrow flat coil wound on a square frame has 160 turns and sides of 34.0 cm. It carries a current of 5.30 A and is positioned in a 0.260- T magnetic field. What is the maximum torque that can be exerted by the field on the coil?

Homework Equations

Torque = (Number of turns)(Area)(Magnetic Field)(sin of the angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the torque using the above information and assuming that the angle was 90 because it was a square. I think my reasoning with the 90 degrees angle is incorrect. For my answer I got, 480.9 J.

I don't think your equation is quite right. What should it be?

Also, the reasoning in the statement "the angle was 90 because it was a square" is not right. There is something in the problem that tells you what angle to use. Do you see what it is?

That is the equation my prof. gave us in class. I looked it up in the book and found that torque is equal to NIABsin theta. In the book, it says the angle is between the magnetic field and a line perpendicular to the current loop. I'm not exactly sure what that means however.

purduegirl said:
That is the equation my prof. gave us in class. I looked it up in the book and found that torque is equal to NIABsin theta.

This formula from the book is correct; the one from your professor is missing the current for some reason.

In the book, it says the angle is between the magnetic field and a line perpendicular to the current loop. I'm not exactly sure what that means however.

It is important to figure out what that means (you'll have to determine that angle in quite a few problems); however, in this problem they want to know what the maximum torque magnitude would be. From looking at the formula, the reasoning you want to follow is what angle makes the torque become as large as possible?

I would be 90 or 270 degrees. I think it would be either of those because the torque would be in the plane of the coil.

purduegirl said:
I would be 90 or 270 degrees. I think it would be either of those because the torque would be in the plane of the coil.

Yes, that's the right angle; and since they just want magnitudes 90 degrees is fine. (Because that's when the magnetic field is in the plane of the coil.)

Thank you so much!

Sure, glad to help!

Related to What is the Maximum Torque on a Flat Coil in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is torque on a flat coil?

Torque on a flat coil refers to the rotational force or moment that is exerted on the coil when a current is passed through it in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How is torque on a flat coil calculated?

The torque on a flat coil can be calculated by multiplying the current passing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the magnetic field strength. This can be represented by the equation: T = I x N x B, where T is torque in Newton-meters (Nm), I is current in amperes (A), N is the number of turns, and B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla (T).

3. What factors affect the torque on a flat coil?

The torque on a flat coil is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the current passing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the orientation of the coil with respect to the magnetic field.

4. How does torque on a flat coil relate to electromagnetic induction?

The torque on a flat coil is a result of electromagnetic induction, which is the production of an electric current in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. When a current is passed through a coil in the presence of a magnetic field, the coil experiences a torque due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current.

5. What are the applications of torque on a flat coil?

Torque on a flat coil has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in electric motors and generators, where it is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in devices such as galvanometers and torque sensors to measure and detect small changes in torque.