What is the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a binomial expansion is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression with two terms. The maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion can be calculated using the formula (1 + 1)^n, where n is the number of terms in the expansion. This sum represents the total number of terms in the expansion and can be greater than the actual number of terms if there are repeating terms. The maximum sum of coefficients is also related to Pascal's Triangle, as the coefficients in the expansion correspond to the numbers in the corresponding row of the triangle.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let $a_{m,n}$ denote the coefficient of $x^n$ in the expansion of $(1+x+x^2)^m$. Prove that for all [integers] $k\geq 0$,
\[0\leq \sum_{i=0}^{\lfloor \frac{2k}{3}\rfloor} (-1)^i a_{k-i,i}\leq 1.\]

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Problem Of The Week # 235 - Sep 29, 2016

This was Problem B-4 in the 1997 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.

No one answered this week's POTW. The solution, attributed to Kiran Kedlaya and his associates, follows:

Let $s_k = \sum_i (-1)^{i} a_{k-1,i}$ be the given sum (note that $a_{k-1,i}$ is nonzero precisely for $i = 0, \dots, \lfloor \frac{2k}{3} \rfloor)$. Since
\[
a_{m+1,n} = a_{m,n} + a_{m,n-1} + a_{m,n-2},
\]
we have
\begin{align*}
s_k - s_{k-1} + s_{k+2}
&= \sum_i (-1)^i (a_{n-i,i} + a_{n-i,i+1} + a_{n-i,i+2}) \\
&= \sum_i (-1)^i a_{n-i+1,i+2} = s_{k+3}.
\end{align*}
By computing $s_0 = 1, s_1 = 1, s_2 = 0$, we may easily verify by induction that $s_{4j} = s_{4j+1} = 1$ and $s_{4j+2} = s_{4j+3} = 0$ for all $j \geq 0$.

Related to What is the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion?

1. What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression, which is an algebraic expression with two terms. It is used to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you calculate the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion?

The maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion can be calculated using the formula (1 + 1)^n, where n is the number of terms in the expansion. For example, if there are 3 terms in the binomial expansion, the maximum sum of coefficients would be (1 + 1)^3 = 8.

3. What is the significance of the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion?

The maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion represents the total number of terms in the expansion. This is important because it helps in determining the complexity of the expansion and the number of terms that need to be calculated.

4. Can the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion be greater than the number of terms in the expansion?

Yes, the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion can be greater than the number of terms in the expansion. This happens when there are repeating terms in the expansion, such as in the expansion of (x + y)^3, where the term x^2y appears twice.

5. How is the maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion related to Pascal's Triangle?

The maximum sum of coefficients in a binomial expansion is related to Pascal's Triangle, as the coefficients in the expansion are the same as the numbers in the corresponding row of Pascal's Triangle. For example, in the expansion of (x + y)^3, the coefficients are 1, 3, 3, 1, which corresponds to the 4th row of Pascal's Triangle.