What is the maximum speed of water flow in the intake pipe?

• Thread starter chattkis3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Bernoulli's principle in determining the maximum speed at which water can flow through an intake pipe located 11.5 m below the surface of a reservoir. The equation used is P_{o} + \rho g h = P_{pipe} + \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2, where P_{o} is atmospheric pressure, \rho is the density of water, g is acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the pipe, and P_{pipe} is the pressure at the intake pipe. The conversation also mentions ignoring the speed of water at the surface and assuming the surface area is much greater than the cross-sectional area of the pipe.
chattkis3
A pump and its horizontal intake pipe are located 11.5 m beneath the surface of a reservoir. The speed of the water in the intake pipe causes the pressure there to decrease, in accord with Bernoulli's principle. Assuming nonviscous flow, what is the maximum speed with which water can flow through the intake pipe?

--Im getting confused because they give you so few numbers to work with. Any ideas? Thanks, --

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's Equation

[tex] P + \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 + \rho gh = constant [/tex]

Well you know the density of the water and atmospheric pressure.

Ok so this is what I have: (P1) + ((1/2)density*v1^2) + (density*g*h1) = (P2) + ((1/2)density*v2^2) + (density*g*h2)

So for this question I can ignore the left side of this longer version of Bernoulli's? Do I substitute in a value of 1 or 0 so that I can solve for v ?

Ignore the speed of the water at the surface. (Assume the surface area is much greater than the cross-sectional area of the pipe.)

Ok am I on the right track with this? :

1.013 x 10^5 Pa = (1.013E5Pa + (1000 kg/m3*9.8m/s2*11.5m)) + .5(1000 kg/m3)* v^2 + (1000 kg/m3 *9.8m/s2 *11.5m)

Im trying to plug in what I know with Bernoulli's...

It should be:

[tex] P_{o} + \rho g h = P_{pipe} + \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to What is the maximum speed of water flow in the intake pipe?

1. What are fluids?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take the shape of their container. They include liquids and gases.

2. What is the difference between liquids and gases?

Liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container, while gases have neither a fixed volume nor a fixed shape and can expand to fill their container.

3. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings, including the forces that act on them.

4. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is determined by the internal friction between the molecules of the fluid.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluids?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often applied to the study of fluids in motion, such as in the case of air flowing over an airplane wing.