What Is the Maximum Propeller Diameter for a 1800 Shp Engine at 2000 RPM?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum diameter of a propeller for an aircraft with a 1800 shp engine and a desired maximum speed of 350 mph. The speaker has calculated a diameter of 78.5 inches, but questions its accuracy based on the Spitfire's use of a 10ft diameter propeller at 3500 rpm. Another person mentions that the Spitfire and Mustangs had a reduction gearbox, and the smaller propeller's rpm/mach number sounds correct. They also note that breaking the mach can cause the propeller to become loud.
chinook177
Ok I'm trying to work out a few things with propellers but I am struggling to work out if I have got this right.

If I have an 1800 shp engine running at about 2000 rpm and I want my aircraft to have a maximum speed of approximately 350 mph what is the maximum diameter I can have the propeller. I have read in a few books that it is best to keep propeller speed between 0.7 and 0.8 Mach.

Working back from this I have calculated the diameter to be 78.5 inches however I know the spitfire used to run at 3500 rpm with at prop diameter of 10ft so I am assuming that I have done something wrong in my calculations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Merlins or Allisons used in Spitfire or Mustangs had a reduction gearbox that I think was about 2.5-1 So while the engine might have seen say 3500 rpm the prop was only turning at 1400 or so.

The rpm/mach number on your smaller prop actually sounds correct Might even be a bit on the high side. While you loose efficiency about all that happens is the prop "snarls". It gets loud as it breaks the mach. A Cessna 185 has a 310hp engine. When taking off it makes the usual noises until you have it full throttle and the prop tips bust the mach and then it gets a bit loud.

Related to What Is the Maximum Propeller Diameter for a 1800 Shp Engine at 2000 RPM?

1. What is the maximum propeller diameter?

The maximum propeller diameter refers to the largest possible size of a propeller that can be used on a specific aircraft or engine. This maximum diameter is determined by factors such as the aircraft's weight, engine power, and aerodynamic design.

2. Why is the maximum propeller diameter important?

The maximum propeller diameter is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of the aircraft. Using a propeller that is too small can result in inadequate thrust, while using one that is too large can cause excessive drag and decrease the aircraft's speed and fuel efficiency.

3. How is the maximum propeller diameter calculated?

The maximum propeller diameter is calculated by considering the aircraft's weight, engine power, and operating conditions. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the optimal propeller diameter for a specific aircraft.

4. Can the maximum propeller diameter be changed?

In most cases, the maximum propeller diameter is fixed and cannot be changed without significant modifications to the aircraft. However, some aircraft may have adjustable or variable pitch propellers, which can change the effective diameter of the propeller during flight.

5. What happens if the maximum propeller diameter is exceeded?

If the maximum propeller diameter is exceeded, it can result in performance issues such as reduced thrust, increased drag, and potential damage to the propeller or engine. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and guidelines for the maximum propeller diameter to ensure safe and efficient operation of the aircraft.