What is the Maximum Pressure in kPa for Ammonia in the Haber Process?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the Haber process and the maximum pressure in kPa that ammonia must be to avoid exceeding a certain temperature. The answer key provides a solution using the ideal gas equation, but there are doubts about its accuracy due to deviations from ideal gas behavior in the reaction vessel. The conversation also considers the possibility of ammonia being collected and cooled in a separate part of the vessel.
alingy1
Hello everyone,
I'm doing some practice problems for my final exam.
I came across this question:

«The Haber process is being used at a pressure of 76 000 mmHg at a temperature of 450°C. Gaseous ammonia is cooled and collected after its production, in order that its temperature does not exceed 132,35°C.
What is the maximum pressure in kPa that ammonia must be into not exceed that temperature? »

So, the answer key of the previous exam I took it from says 5680 kPa. However, I find that a bit weird. It's a basic application of P1/T1=P2/T2... First of all, isn't 76 000mmHg the pressure of all the gases, including H2 and N2? Then, it is said that ammonia is collected, changing the volume of the recipient? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one has answered so far: I don't know the answer for sure, but I cannot think of anything else to do with the given data... You have some ammonia at 450 C. You want to cool it to reach 132,35 C. What will be the final pressure? You need to know the initial one which cannot be other that 76000 mmHg because you do not have any data to calculate an use another value...

Last edited:
alingy1 said:
Hello everyone,
I'm doing some practice problems for my final exam.
I came across this question:

«The Haber process is being used at a pressure of 76 000 mmHg at a temperature of 450°C. Gaseous ammonia is cooled and collected after its production, in order that its temperature does not exceed 132,35°C.
What is the maximum pressure in kPa that ammonia must be into not exceed that temperature? »

So, the answer key of the previous exam I took it from says 5680 kPa. However, I find that a bit weird. It's a basic application of P1/T1=P2/T2... First of all, isn't 76 000mmHg the pressure of all the gases, including H2 and N2? Then, it is said that ammonia is collected, changing the volume of the recipient? What do you think?

This is a continuous process and I'm assuming that some or all of the ammonia produced at any instant enters a part of the reaction vessel where the pressure is reduced sufficiently. This can result in the cooling necessary to liquify and remove that ammonia.
Application of the ideal equation P1/T1=P2/T2 does give a pressure of 5680kPa as in your answer key so I assume that is all that is needed to answer the question.
It does seem very odd though. The deviations from ideal gas behaviour are enormous within the environmental conditions met in the reaction vessel.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Maximum Pressure in kPa for Ammonia in the Haber Process?

1. What is the Haber process?

The Haber process is a chemical reaction that converts nitrogen and hydrogen gases into ammonia. It is named after German chemist Fritz Haber, who developed the process in the early 20th century.

2. What is the significance of the Haber process?

The Haber process is important because it allows for the large-scale production of ammonia, which is a key component in the production of fertilizers and explosives. It also played a crucial role in the development of the chemical industry.

3. How does the Haber process work?

The Haber process involves reacting nitrogen gas (N2) with hydrogen gas (H2) in the presence of a catalyst (usually iron) and high pressure and temperature. The reaction produces ammonia (NH3) as the main product.

4. What are the key gas laws that apply to the Haber process?

The Haber process follows the principles of Boyle's law, which states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at constant temperature, and Charles's law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at constant pressure.

5. How is the Haber process used in industrial applications?

The Haber process is used in the production of fertilizers, such as ammonium nitrate and urea, which are essential for modern agriculture. It is also used in the production of various industrial chemicals, such as nitric acid and hydrocyanic acid.