What Is the Maximum Output Voltage of a Custom Voltage Multiplier Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit using two 120VAC:24VAC transformers, 16 high voltage capacitors, and 10 high voltage diodes to maximize output voltage. The participants mention the possibility of using transformers in parallel and series to achieve a higher voltage, as well as searching for information on cascade voltage multipliers. They also suggest that the maximum voltage for this circuit could potentially be 3000V.
lockedup

Homework Statement

You have two 120VAC:24VAC transformers, 16 high voltage capacitors and 10 high voltage diodes. Design, on paper, a circuit that maximizes output voltage. What is the maximum voltage of your circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my textbook has literally five sentences on voltage multipliers (I counted) and it expects me to know enough to design one using these components. I have no idea what to do. My professor made an offhand remark that I didn't have to use all the components so I wrote down something like this:

villard-kaskade.png

where n=10 and I put a transformer between the signal the rest of the circuit. So I'm guessing the max voltage would be 24(10)-.6(10) = 234 V

I don't even know what you would do with two transformers. Is there some way to connect them in series or parallel? Any voltage multiplier I've seen has an equal number of capacitors and diodes so I don't know why I'm given 16 and 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fake out your professor by putting the 24V windings in parallel and the two 115V windings in series, then plugging in the 24V windings into 115V. That would give you what ac voltage with which to excite your voltage multiplier?

Voltage multipliers (if unloaded) produce a pure dc voltage everywhere within the circuit, so is putting a transformer within the multiplier circuit a good idea?

As for the circuit itself: look up "cascade voltage multiplier" on the Web or wherever. Your particular circuit is not easy to analyze without simulation software so I can't tell what your circuit would do. Might be the cat's pajamas ...

rude man said:
Fake out your professor by putting the 24V windings in parallel and the two 115V windings in series, then plugging in the 24V windings into 115V. That would give you what ac voltage with which to excite your voltage multiplier?
There may be another arrangement of the transformers that'll give you a bigger boost :wink:

Good thinking, gneill. Yes there is. I came up with 1200V - did you get 3000?

rude man said:
Good thinking, gneill. Yes there is. I came up with 1200V - did you get 3000?

Yup. Not a bad place from which to kick off the voltage multiplying :smile:

Related to What Is the Maximum Output Voltage of a Custom Voltage Multiplier Circuit?

What is a voltage multiplier?

A voltage multiplier is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the voltage of an input signal. It consists of a series of capacitors and diodes that are connected in a ladder-like fashion to produce an output voltage that is a multiple of the input voltage.

What is the purpose of a voltage multiplier?

The primary purpose of a voltage multiplier is to step up the voltage of an input signal for use in various applications such as power supplies, high voltage generators, and electrostatic experiments. It can also be used to produce high voltage pulses for applications like particle accelerators and electronic shockers.

How does a voltage multiplier work?

A voltage multiplier works by charging a series of capacitors in parallel and then discharging them in series through a series of diodes. This process repeats multiple times, with each stage doubling the voltage of the previous stage. The output voltage is the sum of all the stages and can be calculated by multiplying the input voltage by the number of stages.

What are the types of voltage multipliers?

The two main types of voltage multipliers are the half-wave and full-wave multiplier. The half-wave multiplier uses only one polarity of the input signal, while the full-wave multiplier uses both polarities. The full-wave multiplier is more efficient and produces a smoother output voltage compared to the half-wave multiplier.

What are the factors that affect the performance of a voltage multiplier?

The performance of a voltage multiplier is affected by factors such as the capacitance and tolerance of the capacitors used, the breakdown voltage of the diodes, the frequency and amplitude of the input signal, and the number of stages in the multiplier. Other factors that may affect performance include temperature, leakage currents, and parasitic capacitances.