What is the maximum normal stress in a W18x46 beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the maximum normal stress at a specific point on a W18x46 beam. The individual is unsure of which axis to use for the moment of inertia and is considering using the equations for principle stresses and Mohr's circle. They ultimately determine to use the equation Mc/I, where c is the distance from the neutral axis. The calculated maximum normal stress is about 22 ksi.
SteelDirigibl

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=46421&stc=1&d=1334881670.png

Homework Equations

σ=P/A

σ=My/I

τ=VQ/It

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm on part C, pretty sure I have A and B, so I'm using a W18x46 Beam. I have drawn shear and moment diagrams. I just want to be clear on what part C is asking...
I'm assuming this point is at the end of the web, wither top of bottom, just not part of the flange. So if that's correct... it is wanting the max normal stress. Is this ging to be where moment is at it's maximum? I have determined this to be at 14.25 ft (using A as the origin), with the moment being 152.3 kip*ft.

V is at a max at C, this seems it might make more sense. but P/A just gets me 1.75 and that's the same as τ that I already found.

Reaction force at A is 21.375 kip and at C is 23.625.

Am I on the right track? Can I use the equations above, find principle stresses, and make a mohr's circle? because at this point, I have V=0, does that seem right?

I'm also not sure which I to use... the x-x axis or y-y? the I for these beams in the apendix shows x-x being 712 in4 and 22.5 in4 going by the y-y axis

Any more of my previous calculations that might be neccessary, let me know, I'll post them...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 7.23.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 7.23.30 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 681
  • Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.24.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.24.21 PM.png
    21 KB · Views: 2,852
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have figured it out. I just used Mc/I where c is the distance from the neutral axis.

Beam is 18.06 in deep, minus 0.625in per each flange, is 16.85, divided by two is 8.425. I used that as C, and 712 for I. Its about 22 ksi. seems reasonable to me.

Related to What is the maximum normal stress in a W18x46 beam?

1. What is max normal stress in a beam?

Max normal stress in a beam refers to the maximum amount of stress that a beam can withstand before it fails, typically due to excessive bending or tension.

2. How is max normal stress calculated in a beam?

Max normal stress in a beam is calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point on the section, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area.

3. What factors can affect the max normal stress in a beam?

The max normal stress in a beam can be affected by various factors including the beam's material properties, its cross-sectional dimensions, the load applied to the beam, and the beam's support conditions.

4. How does the shape of a beam affect its max normal stress?

The shape of a beam can affect its max normal stress as it can determine the distribution of stress along the beam's cross-section. For example, a beam with a rectangular cross-section will have a different stress distribution compared to a beam with an I-shaped cross-section.

5. Why is max normal stress important in beam design?

Max normal stress is important in beam design as it helps engineers determine the appropriate size and strength of a beam for a given application. It also helps ensure that the beam will not fail under the expected loads and can handle any potential stress concentrations.