What Is the Maximum Mass That Keeps Truss Forces Within Limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the largest mass of a suspended block so that the force in any member does not exceed a specific amount. The equations ƩM = 0, ƩFy = 0, and ƩFx = 0 are the key equations used to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions using the book "Hibbeler" for guidance, but notes that there are not enough explanations or relevant examples provided. The back of the book provides equations for Joint D and Joint A. The conversation also mentions difficulties with understanding physics concepts and criticisms of the professor's teaching methods. The conversation concludes with a solved problem and a question about analyzing points CD and ED if they were
JJRKnights

Homework Statement

24zvji1.jpg

Determine the largest mass m of the suspended block so that the force in any member does not exceed 52 kN(T) or 47 kN(C).

Homework Equations

ƩM = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩFx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

6gfsip.png

Did I assume the arrows right?

Would this be the right track to solving this?
Solve for each piece.
Sum of moments, and solve for m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using Hibbeler as my book, no relevant examples in the book(as always), not enough explanation to solve the questions(as always). All the physics books I've ever encountered are so incomplete that I'm surprised they get published. If I never did physics, picked up one of these books and tried to learn it from the start, I'd probably get stuck in the first chapters because of the lack of explanation. My professor is even worse, let's give extremely easy examples, but when it comes to problems let's make them extremely hard.

All the back of the book says is:

Joint D: (F_DC)sin45 + (F_DE)cos30.25 - W = 0
Joint A: F_AG - 1.414Wsin45 = 0

Thanks for the detail Hibbeler.

JJRKnights said:
Using Hibbeler as my book, no relevant examples in the book(as always), not enough explanation to solve the questions(as always). All the physics books I've ever encountered are so incomplete that I'm surprised they get published. If I never did physics, picked up one of these books and tried to learn it from the start, I'd probably get stuck in the first chapters because of the lack of explanation. My professor is even worse, let's give extremely easy examples, but when it comes to problems let's make them extremely hard.

If points E and C were attached/hinged to a wall, could you analyse CD and ED.
The scale of the diagram will show you how far apart E and C are - there is a 45o angle in there.

Solved it

Related to What Is the Maximum Mass That Keeps Truss Forces Within Limits?

1. What is static equilibrium in a truss?

Static equilibrium in a truss is a state where all the external forces acting on a truss are balanced, resulting in zero net force and zero net moment.

2. What is the purpose of a truss in static equilibrium?

The purpose of a truss in static equilibrium is to distribute external forces evenly and efficiently, allowing the truss to support heavy loads while minimizing the amount of material needed.

3. How is the equilibrium of a truss determined?

The equilibrium of a truss is determined by analyzing the external forces and internal forces at each joint and ensuring they are balanced. This can be done using the method of joints or the method of sections.

4. What is the role of tension and compression in a truss?

Tension and compression are the two primary forces acting on the members of a truss. Tension occurs when a member is pulled apart, while compression occurs when a member is pushed together. These forces work together to maintain the stability of the truss in static equilibrium.

5. How do you ensure stability in a truss?

To ensure stability in a truss, it is important to design the truss with proper bracing and connections, as well as using members with appropriate cross-sectional areas and materials. Additionally, analyzing the truss for potential failure modes and ensuring it can withstand expected loads is crucial for stability.