What is the maximum mass of a rocket when its momentum and energy are optimized?

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a rocket in free space and its maximum momentum and energy. The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation and the relationship between force and momentum are suggested as starting points for solving the problem. It is noted that the problem involves a variable mass system, which can be challenging to handle. A tutorial on variable mass systems is also provided as a helpful resource.
derrickb
Before I ask the question, just want to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. Name's Derrick and I'm a sophomore engineering physics major at WPI. I'm currently in an Intermediate Mechanics course. Onto the problem:

Homework Statement

A rocket in free space that starts at rest with total mass M ejects exhaust gas at a given speed u. What is the mass of the rocket(including unused fuel) when its momentum is maximum? What is the mass when its energy is maximum? [use E=.5mv^2 for energy]

Homework Equations

Mv=P
E=.5mv2
v=v0+uln(m0/m) (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Mv=0
-mexhaustu+(M-mexhaust)v=0
(M-mexhaust)v=mexhaustu
v=(mexhaust/(M-mexhaust))u
I'm stuck here. Do I take the derivative of v?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Derrick, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Why not look up the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation and start there? Use the formulas for momentum and kinetic energy and a bit of calculus to maximize things as required.

I would start with the relationship F = dp/dt where F is the force applied to the rocket and p its momentum.

You know dp is the same (except for sign) of the rocket and the expelled mass. The change in momentum of the expelled gas is easy to express, therefore so is F.

Then F = (d/dt)[(M + m)v] and you can get a diff. eq. giving v(m). M is the mass of the rocket alone and m is the on-board mass of the expelling matter. Remember, dm/dt ≠ 0.

Then momentum of the rocket is (M + m)v(m) and you can maximize this w/r/t m.

Same idea for maximizing 1/2 (M+m)v2.

Good problem! Toughies over there at Worcester Poly, huh? :smile: Seems more a junior-level course than a sophomore. Or I'm over-complicating the solution.

rude man said:
I would start with the relationship F = dp/dt where F is the force applied to the rocket and p its momentum.

You know dp is the same (except for sign) of the rocket and the expelled mass. The change in momentum of the expelled gas is easy to express, therefore so is F.

Then F = (d/dt)[(M + m)v] and you can get a diff. eq. giving v(m). M is the mass of the rocket alone and m is the on-board mass of the expelling matter. Remember, dm/dt ≠ 0.

Then momentum of the rocket is (M + m)v(m) and you can maximize this w/r/t m.

Same idea for maximizing 1/2 (M+m)v2.

Good problem! Toughies over there at Worcester Poly, huh? :smile: Seems more a junior-level course than a sophomore. Or I'm over-complicating the solution.

Thanks for the help guys. This course is a little harder than I would have expected it to be, but it is a sophomore course. There is a continuation of this course, but I don't think I'm taking it...yet

Related to What is the maximum mass of a rocket when its momentum and energy are optimized?

1. What is rocket momentum, and why is it important?

Rocket momentum is a measure of the motion of a rocket or any other object in space. It is important because it determines the direction and speed of the rocket's movement, which is crucial for successful space exploration and satellite launches.

2. How is rocket momentum calculated?

Rocket momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the rocket by its velocity. This means that a heavier rocket moving at a faster speed will have a greater momentum than a lighter rocket with a slower speed.

3. How does rocket momentum affect a spacecraft's trajectory?

The momentum of a rocket affects its trajectory by determining the direction and speed at which it moves. A rocket with a greater momentum will have a more difficult time changing its direction or speed, while a rocket with a lower momentum will be more easily maneuvered.

4. Can the momentum of a rocket be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a rocket can be changed by altering its mass or velocity. For example, if a rocket needs to slow down, it can reduce its velocity, or if it needs to change direction, it can adjust its thrust to alter its momentum.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to rocket launches?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that during a rocket launch, the momentum of the fuel and exhaust gases leaving the rocket must be equal and opposite to the momentum of the rocket itself in order to maintain the system's total momentum at zero.