What is the maximum height reached by the other ball after collision?

In summary, two identical steel balls, each of mass 1.4 kg, are suspended from strings of length 36 cm and collide elastically after one is pulled back at an angle of 36°. The velocity of the first ball is calculated using the equation mgh=1/2mv^2 and is found to be 23.89. By using the conservation of momentum equation, it is determined that the second ball will also reach a height of 23.89 when it collides with the first ball. However, further consideration is needed to find the exact length in the y direction, which can be determined by using trigonometry and drawing a diagram.
Rasine
Two identical steel balls, each of mass 1.4 kg, are suspended from strings of length 36 cm so that they touch when in their equilibrium position. We pull one of the balls back until its string makes an angle q = 36° with the vertical and let it go. It collides elastically with the other ball. How high will the other ball rise?

ok so what i am using is pi=pf and ei=ef

first i calcuate the velocity of of th first ball when it is just about to hit the second which is
mgh=1/2mv^2
(1.4)(9.8)36cos36=1/2(1.4)v^2

then v=23.89

so pi=pf of the system so m1v1+m2v2=m1v1f+m2v2f

which is (1.4)(23.89)+0=0+1.4v2f

so v2f=23.89 and if that is true, wouldn't ball 2 go as high as ball 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasine said:
first i calcuate the velocity of of th first ball when it is just about to hit the second which is
mgh=1/2mv^2
(1.4)(9.8)36cos36=1/2(1.4)v^2

Reconsider the red step.

would it be 36sin56 instead?

Rasine said:
would it be 36sin56 instead?

I suggest you draw a diagram on this one.

well i want to find the length in the y direction and i see 2 ight triangles i could get y from 36cos36 or take 90-36=56 and do 36sin56

Related to What is the maximum height reached by the other ball after collision?

1. What factors affect the collision between two balls?

The mass, velocity, and angle of approach are the main factors that affect the collision between two balls. The surface and elasticity of the balls can also play a role.

2. How does the angle of approach impact the collision between two balls?

The angle of approach determines the direction and magnitude of the force between the two balls during the collision. A head-on collision (angle of approach = 0) results in a straight repulsion, while a glancing collision (angle of approach ≠ 0) results in a deflection of the balls' paths.

3. Is the collision between two balls completely elastic?

No, in real-world situations, the collision between two balls is not completely elastic. Some energy is lost to sound, heat, and deformation of the balls' surfaces. However, in ideal conditions with perfectly elastic balls, the collision would be completely elastic with no energy loss.

4. How does the mass of the balls affect the collision?

The mass of the balls affects the transfer of energy during the collision. A heavier ball will transfer more energy to a lighter ball, resulting in a greater change in velocity for the lighter ball. In a head-on collision between two balls of equal mass, both balls will have the same final velocity.

5. Can the speed of the balls before and after the collision be calculated?

Yes, the speed of the balls before and after the collision can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. The speed of the balls after the collision can also be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.