What is the maximum height reached by the 2kg mass in a modified Atwood machine?

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood machine with two masses, 5kg and 2kg, initially at a height of 0.6m. The task is to determine the maximum height the 2kg mass will reach when the system is released. Using energy methods, it can be found that the 2kg block will gain a height of 1.5m, with energy being transferred from the 5kg block. Using net force, the maximum height is found to be 1.46m, which aligns with the correct answer. Energy considerations show that part of the energy is lost when the larger block hits the ground, while the smaller block is propelled upwards.
serverxeon

Homework Statement

Two masses, 5kg and 2kg on the two ends of an atwood machine (ie. over a pulley).
Initially, both are 0.6m above ground.

Find the maximum height the 2kg mass will reach when the system is released.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Maximum height will = initial 0.6 m + 0.6m it will move up + the "shooting up effect" due to KE it still has at h=1.2m

If i use net force to get net acceleration, and thereby get the velocity when 0.6m has been moved, i will arrive at an additional displace of 0.26 m

Correct answer is 1.46m, and so I'm right.

--------------
But , if I use energy methods, I am stuck.
Total GPE lost by 5kg block = 29.4J
So, that means the 2kg block will gain a height of 29.4/(2*9.8) = 1.5m?

I think I am missing out something. Can the energy be 'transferred' from m1 to m2 in this case? Or is energy lost to heat when the 5kg smashes the floor?

Anyone has a way to solve this using energy methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the 2kg block has risen 0.6m and the 5kg block has fallen 0.6m you can determine the net KE gained by the system from the difference in PE changes.

KE = (5kg - 2kg)*g*0.6m

This turns out to be about 17.65J.

Now, this energy is divided between the two masses. The 5kg block, being more massive, has the larger share. The 2kg block has the smaller share. In particular,

KEs = KE*2/(5 + 2) = 5.04J

The energy that goes with the larger block is "lost" to us when it hits the ground. The energy in the smaller block carries on, raising it above the "launch" point.

Related to What is the maximum height reached by the 2kg mass in a modified Atwood machine?

1. What is an Atwood machine (modified)?

An Atwood machine (modified) is a type of mechanical device used to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and force in physics. It consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. The modified version of the Atwood machine includes additional components such as friction and air resistance to make it a more realistic representation of real-world scenarios.

2. How does an Atwood machine (modified) work?

An Atwood machine (modified) works by using the force of gravity to accelerate the two masses in opposite directions. The heavier mass will experience a greater force of gravity, causing it to accelerate faster and pull the lighter mass up. This motion can be affected by the additional components, such as friction and air resistance, to demonstrate how these factors impact the acceleration and movement of the masses.

3. What are the applications of an Atwood machine (modified)?

An Atwood machine (modified) has various applications in physics education and research. It can be used to study the principles of acceleration, force, and energy conservation. It can also be used to model real-world scenarios, such as elevators, cranes, and pulley systems, to understand their mechanics and efficiency.

4. How is an Atwood machine (modified) different from a regular Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine (modified) includes additional components, such as friction and air resistance, that are not present in a regular Atwood machine. These components make the modified version a more realistic representation of real-world scenarios and allow for a more comprehensive study of the principles of physics.

5. Can an Atwood machine (modified) be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, an Atwood machine (modified) can be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity. By measuring the masses and the acceleration of the system, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the equation a = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and a is the acceleration of the system.