What is the maximum force, P, before block A slips on block B?

In summary, when a force is applied to blocks A and B, the maximum force is 31.5g before Block A slips on Block B.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

The two blocks shown in the diagram are at rest on a horizontal surface when a force P is applied to block B. Blaocks A and B have masses 20kg and 35kg respectively. The coefficient of friction between the two blocks is 0.35 and between the horizontal surface and Block B is 0.3.
Determine the maximum force, P, before A slips on B.

Homework Equations

F = ma , Friction max = uR

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay this thing has been killing me for months.
Friction between B and the ground is (20 + 35)g(0.3) = 16.5g and between B and A is
(0.3)(35)g = 10.5g. This produces anti-friction which propells A forward. Friction between A and B is (20)(0.3)g = 6g.
So, P should equal 16.5g +10.5g + (10.5g - 6g) = 31.5g N.
I'm supposed to be getting 35.75g N.

Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• problem.bmp
    127 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe_Memorie said:
This produces anti-friction which propells A forward.
:bugeye: Anti-friction? The only force propelling A forward is the friction from B.

Hint: When the static friction between A and B is at its maximum value, what is the acceleration?

Doc Al said:
:bugeye: Anti-friction? The only force propelling A forward is the friction from B.

Hint: When the static friction between A and B is at its maximum value, what is the acceleration?

Sorry, that's what I mean.

The acceleration of A or B?
The acceleration of A relative to B will be 0 if slipping doesn't occur.

Maybe_Memorie said:
The acceleration of A or B?
Consider A first. What's the acceleration of A when slipping is just about to occur?
The acceleration of A relative to B will be 0 if slipping doesn't occur.
Exactly! :wink:

Well if the force pushing A forward is (10.5)g, the acceleration should be (10.5)g/20, =
(0.525)g m/s^2.

Maybe_Memorie said:
Well if the force pushing A forward is (10.5)g,
What's the maximum static friction force acting on A?

Doc Al said:
What's the maximum static friction force acting on A?

The normal reaction by the Coefficient of Friction. (20g)(0.3) = 6g N.

Maybe_Memorie said:
The normal reaction by the Coefficient of Friction. (20g)(0.3) = 6g N.
Good! Except that here μ = 0.35.

Doc Al said:
Good! Except that here μ = 0.35.

Okay, I did it again, and got the right answer.
So let me see if I've understood.

I've included a force diagram.

The frictional forces acting on B are [(55g)(0.3) + (35)(0.35)] = 28.75g N

The force pushing A forward is (20g)(0.35) = 7g N.

To make B move, P must be 28.75g, and to ensure that there is no relative acceleration between A and B it must be (28.75g + 7g) = 35.75g N.

Attachments

• force diagram.bmp
    267.5 KB · Views: 452
Maybe_Memorie said:
The frictional forces acting on B are [(55g)(0.3) + (35)(0.35)] = 28.75g N
The friction force of A on B is equal and opposite to the friction force of B on A (which you have calculated correctly).
The force pushing A forward is (20g)(0.35) = 7g N.
Good. So what must be the acceleration of A?

Doc Al said:
The friction force of A on B is equal and opposite to the friction force of B on A (which you have calculated correctly).

If the friction force on B is the coefficient of friction by the normal reaction, should it not be
(0.35)(20g)?

Doc Al said:
Good. So what must be the acceleration of A?

F = ma, ma = 7g, so a = 7g/20 = 0.35g m/s^2.

Maybe_Memorie said:
If the friction force on B is the coefficient of friction by the normal reaction, should it not be
(0.35)(20g)?
Exactly.

F = ma, ma = 7g, so a = 7g/20 = 0.35g m/s^2.
Good! So what must be the acceleration of both A and B at that point? What force P is required to produce such an acceleration?

Doc Al said:
Good! So what must be the acceleration of both A and B at that point? What force P is required to produce such an acceleration?

If the acceleration of A is 0.35g, the acceleration of B must also be 0.35g, so that there is no relative acceleration between them and slipping will not occur.

F = ma, so P = (35)(0.35g).
Evidently I've gone wrong somewhere. Haha.

Maybe_Memorie said:
If the acceleration of A is 0.35g, the acceleration of B must also be 0.35g, so that there is no relative acceleration between them and slipping will not occur.
Good!

F = ma, so P = (35)(0.35g).
Evidently I've gone wrong somewhere. Haha.
P is not the only force acting on B.

Hint: Try treating both blocks as a single object.

Doc Al said:
P is not the only force acting on B.

Hint: Try treating both blocks as a single object.

P minus the two frictional forces acting on B has to produce an acceleration of 0.35g.

So [P - 16.5g-7g = 35(0.35g)]
P = 35.75g N

And if both blocks were a single object, the 7g N forces would not affect the system, and the mass of the system would be 55kg.

So [P -16.5g = 55(0.35g)]
P = 35.75g N

There you go. :approve:

Thank you very much for your help. :smile:

Related to What is the maximum force, P, before block A slips on block B?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of their irregularities.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. It also causes objects to heat up due to the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy.

3. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How does friction relate to Newton's laws?

Friction is a result of the application of Newton's laws. The first law explains why objects at rest stay at rest unless a force is applied, and friction is the force that must be overcome to move an object. The second law explains how the force of friction is related to the mass and acceleration of an object. The third law explains how the force of friction is countered by the equal and opposite reaction force of the object.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between two objects. Another way is by using wheels or ball bearings, which reduce the surface area in contact and minimize the force of friction. Additionally, smoother surfaces, such as polishing or using materials with low coefficients of friction, can also reduce friction.