What is the maximum charge on plates when dielectric removed

In summary, the maximum charge that the plates can hold when the nylon is removed and the space is filled with air is 0.0000235 C. This is calculated using the equation Q = CΔV and taking into account the electric field and potential difference of both scenarios, as well as the area of the plates and the distance between them. The error in the calculation was due to not correctly converting the area from cm^2 to m^2.
akirez

Homework Statement

A capacitor with two parallel plates of area 88.5 cm2 and nylon (dielectric strength 14 MV/m) inserted between them breaks down when a potential difference of 5.80 kV is applied. What is the maximum charge the plates will hold when the nylon is removed and the space filled with air (dielectric strength 3 MV/m)?

Homework Equations

Q = CΔV
ΔV = Ed
Co = εoA/d
Coκ = εoAκ/d
E = Eo/κ

The Attempt at a Solution

The maximum electric field with the nylon inserted is 14 MV/m. ΔV = Ed and we have 5800 V applied.
Solving for d gives d = 0.00041429 m.

The maximum electric field once the nylon removed is 3 MV/m. ΔV = Ed.
Solving for ΔV gives ΔV = 1242.87 V.

C = εoA/d gives C= 1.89*10^-8 F.

Q = CΔV = (1.89*10^-8 F)(1242.87 V) = 0.0000235 C.

The online assignment page is rejecting my answer. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Did you correctly convert cm2 to m2?

Why did 10-8 change to 10-12 for C in the calculation of Q?

Sorry the 10^-12 was a typo. Indeed when I did the calculation I used 10^-8 for C. Also I converted cm^2 to m^2 and converted MV and kV to volts.

What did you get for the area after you converted to m2?

88.5 cm^2 = 0.885 m^2

akirez said:
88.5 cm^2 = 0.885 m^2
This is not correct. Note that you are converting square centimeters.

Wow. That flew right over my head. That was my problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Good work.

Related to What is the maximum charge on plates when dielectric removed

What is the maximum charge on plates when dielectric removed?

The maximum charge on plates when the dielectric is removed is determined by the capacitance and voltage of the plates. It can be calculated using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

How does the dielectric affect the maximum charge on plates?

The dielectric material placed between the plates of a capacitor reduces the electric field between the plates, increasing the capacitance. This results in a higher maximum charge on the plates compared to when the dielectric is removed.

What happens to the maximum charge on plates when a dielectric is inserted?

When a dielectric is inserted between the plates of a capacitor, the electric field is reduced and the capacitance increases. This results in a higher maximum charge on the plates compared to when there is no dielectric present.

Can the maximum charge on plates exceed the capacitance of a capacitor?

No, the maximum charge on plates cannot exceed the capacitance of a capacitor. The capacitance is the maximum amount of charge that can be stored on the plates at a given voltage.

What factors affect the maximum charge on plates when a dielectric is removed?

The maximum charge on plates when a dielectric is removed is affected by the capacitance and voltage of the plates, as well as the properties of the dielectric material such as its permittivity and thickness.